49

Arkyn went home feeling exhausted. He walked past Alexis's room to find her video chatting with Jeremy.
"You can thank me tomorrow." She was telling him. "And the day after that. And the day after that." She giggled. "Good night, Jeremy."
"Good night, Lex." He replied and she closed the laptop.
"So what did you get yourself into today?"
"Ark." She said.
"So... why do I have a feeling you didn't spend the day packing?"
"Jeremy died." She said.
"What?" He walked over and sat on the edge of her bed.
"Damon was hallucinating because of his bite and he was next to Jeremy. The sheriff shot at him only Damon sped away and Jeremy got hurt instead."
"Oh, god."
"Bonnie helped me bring him back. Together we were channelling the witches again."
"Oh, Lex." He said.
"I couldn't lose him too. I mean, the list of people I love is small and I just... I couldn't let him die."
"You love him?" Arkyn asked and she nodded.
"I do."
"Then I won't judge. But I don't have to tell you there'll be consequences, do I?"
"I know and I'll happily pay whatever price comes my way."
"Why don't you worry about that later?"
"Ark, do we have to go to Ruby's? We could stay here."
"You and Xavier did exactly what I told you not to do. You don't get off scot-free."
"Half the summer then?"
"The whole summer. You guys will be coming back before school begins." He kept his stance and she sighed. "Speaking of," He walked out of her room and to Xavier's. "Hey, Xave."
"Ark." He said, sitting at his table.
"So, wanna talk about your replies?"
"I got into Michigan and MIT. Didn't get into Berkeley."
"So which are you going to?"
"MIT. Just sent off my reply."
"Congratulations."
"Yeah." Xavier sighed.
"You don't look very happy about it."
"I am, I just feel bad, leaving Lex... leaving you."
"Your sister and I will be fine. Besides you can come home for breaks. Be proud of yourself, Xavier. You deserve this."
"Thanks." Xavier smiled. Arkyn walked over and put his hand on Xavier's head.
"I'm proud of you, and your mom would've been too."
"So, seeing as I'm heading off to college this fall, how about we all spend the summer together?"
"Nice try. We'll have next summer together, you and Alexis are still going to Ruby."
"Ark-"
"No buts." Arkyn said. "You might want to start packing."
"Fine."
"And apply for accommodations at college before they're all filled up. Okay?"
"Will do." Xavier nodded. Arkyn ruffled Xavier's hair and walked away to his own room. It'd been a long day. He called Bonnie and she picked up.
"Hey." She said, when she picked up.
"Hi." He replied.
"So I had a hectic day today." She said.
"I heard. Bringing Jeremy back?"
"Yeah."
"How are you?" He asked.
"I'm fine."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes. How about you?"
"I'll be okay." He said after a moment of silence.
"What happened?"
"Klaus drama."
"Did Stefan get Damon the cure?"
"Yeah."
"Well there's a victory."
"Except, as always with Klaus, there was a price."
"Like..?"
"Stefan gives up six months of his life to do whatever Klaus says."
"What?"
"He's feeling lonely. He has no siblings by his side, so he wants Stefan to fill the spot."
"You're telling me Stefan's with Klaus?"
"Yes."
"Oh my god. Poor Stefan."
"Yeah, but he'd do anything for his brother."
"I know." Bonnie replied. There was a pause.
"What are you doing this weekend?" He asked suddenly.
"I have no plans. Why?"
"I'm driving Lex and Xavier to their grandmother's on Sunday. What would you say to coming along for a road trip?"
"Leave Mystic Falls behind?"
"Yeah."
"I'd love to." She said. "But I thought they weren't going to their grandmother's for a while?"
"Yeah, I'm making them go and spend the summer there."
"Then I'm in."
"I look forward to it." He grinned.
"Where exactly does she live?"
"Wichita."
"That's going to be a very long road trip."
"Backing out?" He asked.
"No, I'd love to come."
"Great." He was interrupted by a squeal.
"Is everything okay?"
"Alexis has deafened me." He replied. "Just give me a sec." He moved the phone to his chest. "Alexis! What's wrong?" Alexis bounded in to his room.
"Xave got in to MIT!" She said. Arkyn let out a laugh.
"I know and it's awesome but vampire hearing. You're going to damage my ears." He said and she pouted.
"Do we still have to go to Ruby's?"
"Yes, so start packing."
"But Xave's going off to college. Shouldn't we treasure what little time we have left?"
"He's going to college, he's not dying, Lex. And we'll be visiting him the next month for family weekend, and he'll come home during breaks. Alright?"
"Fine." Alexis pouted again before leaving his room.
"And try to keep your volume down to a minimum?" He called after her. He put his phone backup to his ear.
"Xavier's going to MIT?" Bonnie asked.
"Yeah. Majoring in biochem."
"Awesome. Congratulate him for me."
"I will. You should get some sleep. It's getting kind of late."
"Sure." She replied. "Goodnight, Ark."
"Night, Bon."

Arkyn, Bonnie, Xavier and Alexis had set out to Ruby's very early on Sunday morning. It was evening when they had finally reached her home. He and Bonnie walked Xavier and Alexis to the door.
"Ruby!" He greeted politely.
"Arkyn." She glared. She turned her gaze onto her grandchildren. "Xavier, Alexis, come on in. You remember the way to your rooms?"
"Sure." Xavier replied picking his bag up from the floor, as Alexis did the same.
"Two stubborn magically-inclined grandchildren as promised. Delivered to your front door." Arkyn smiled.
"Who's this?" She looked at Bonnie. Arkyn put an arm around her shoulder.
"This is Bonnie, my girlfriend." He said.
"Nice to meet you." Bonnie held out her hand. Ruby shook it slowly.
"You're a Bennett." Ruby said, her tone slightly accusing.
"Yes, I am."
"What's your relation to Sheila?"
"She was my grandmother." Bonnie replied, slightly awkward.
"I'm sorry for your loss." Ruby smiled softly.
"Thank you."
"Well, it's a long journey back home, so we should be getting back." Arkyn said. "Let me just get the last of their bags." He set the two he was already holding down and headed back to the car. He got out two more suitcases. "I can help take them up, if you'd like."
"We'll manage." Ruby said.
"Alright. Goodbye Ruby." He waved. Alexis ran out of the house to give him a hug.
"Please don't do this." She whispered in a desperate last attempt. Arkyn chuckled.
"I'll see you in a few months, Lex." He stroked her hair. She reluctantly let go and walked back into the house. She stood in front of Xavier who put his hand on her shoulder. Arkyn and Bonnie got into the car and started to drive away. "Ready to go home?"
"Not really." She shook her head. "Let's not go back just yet?"
"Where do you want to go?"
"Anywhere." She said. "Surprise me."