8

"I can't take you anywhere!" Arkyn rolled his eyes at Xavier, as he pulled the car into the driveway.
"It was Alexis."
"Alexis was the one who got drunk and used magic to beat up six guys?"
"Like they didn't deserve it." Alexis said crossly.
"Yeah, they were disrespecting her. I mean, how else was she supposed to react?" At Arkyn's stern look he gave in. "Fine. It was me. But they did deserve it, Ark."
"React any way that wouldn't draw attention to us. Look, Xavier. I get it. Protecting your baby sister. But that was way too open. Anyone could have see you."
"You mean anyone could have seen you."
"Alexis!" Xavier said aghast, as Arkyn faltered.
"You're right. I'm putting all this responsibility on your shoulders, and you shouldn't have to be careful on my behalf." Arkyn got out of the car, but left his car keys behind. "One of you lock up?" He walked away.
"How could you say that, Lex?" Xavier sighed.
"What are you talking about? I love Ark, I do. But you were looking out for me. Besides no one saw."
"He already feels guilty about apparently dragging us into his life, but we followed him here. We came to him."
"I know."
"Thanks for sticking up for me, but that was just harsh." Alexis looked at her brother sheepishly. "You know he feels responsible for us. He came into hiding, because he didn't want to live his life with his siblings spying on him. On us. He knew Elijah or someone had someone watching everything he did. Everything we did. Do you know what happened the last time he spent time with mortals?"
"What are you talking about?"
"Mom had a diary. I read it once. She had a lot about Ark in it, things they went through together, things about him. Including how he let himself befriend mortals. It was, I don't know, a century ago? He came to a town full of innocents. Happy people. They had a lot of energy and he couldn't help but become one of them. According to mom, they were some witches, some werewolves. They hated vampires, but they didn't hate Ark. Then one night he woke up to their screams. Klaus stood in the middle of this huge massacre, men and women alike, leaving only the young. Klaus had killed them for loving him. He tried to save what he could and Klaus just stood there with a smirk before leaving."
"Oh god."
"Yeah."
"That's why he never wants to see his family again. And why he's trying to be distant." She realised.
"Mom wouldn't let him leave. She made him stay, showed him she was safe with him. That's why we moved out here. So he could keep us safe. After mom's death he was just too afraid of anything happening to us, Lex."
"I'm gonna go after him." Alexis said, but Xavier stopped her.
"That's not a good idea."
"I have to." She said, getting out of the car. She ran to the Grill, guessing he'd be there.

"I'm sorry." She slid into the seat beside him.
"For what?"
"What I said. I had no right to."
"You had every right."
"It was Xave and I who followed you here."
"I knew you would."
"You're just trying to protect us by hiding from your siblings."
"Yeah, well there's protection, and then there's smothering."
"You don't smother us. You're just... a dad. It's not a bad thing. You take care of us, and you're always there for us. Just, ignore everything I said earlier. I wasn't being considerate to you. I know you're just trying to keep us safe. I was totally out of line."
"No you weren't."
"Yes. I was." Alexis sighed. "Xave told me about what went down with you and your brother."
"What?"
"About the whole massacre that went down."
"Xavier? He doesn't even know..."
"Apparently mom wrote it in her diary or something. Anyways, so now I get why you're reluctant to let others care about you. And even if all that hadn't happened, I was still totally wrong and out of line. We shouldn't be flaunting magic around like that. It's not just supernatural attention we can attract. There're hunters everywhere."
"Even in this town."
"Wait, what?"
"Yeah, the so called founding families get together to hunt vampires. They don't seem to know about other creatures."
"And you chose here?"
"I was born here. I figured it'd probably be the last place anyone would think to look." He shrugged. "Thanks, Lexis. But I just need to think a little right now. So go home, make sure Xavier doesn't wreck the house."
"Are you sure you'll be okay?"
"I'm fine. And hey, if you guys want me to back off a little, just say the word. You don't have to worry about hurting my feelings."
"Now that you mention it, the restrictions on the alcohol..."
"No." He shot her down instantly.
"See. Total dad." Alexis shrugged.
"I look two years older than you."
"Yeah, true. But you're still the closest thing we've ever had to a dad." She gave him a kiss on the cheek and walked away.

"I haven't seen you around much." A voice remarked, a few minutes later.
"Bonnie." He said.
"Hi, stranger." She took Alexis's seat, and ordered herself a drink. "Your friend said I should come talk to you. Something about you being too afraid to make a move."
"Alexis needs to mind her own business." He said. "I'm definitely not good company tonight."
"Yeah, well neither am I."
"How are you dealing? With your grams?"
"I'm dealing." She shrugged. "My mom left when I was really little, so Grams and I were super close. I used to go to her about anything and everything. Girl talk, or just regular talk."
"Yeah."
"How long have you been a vampire?"
"For far too long."
"And how long is that?"
"Guess."
"Are you older than Stefan and Damon?"
"Definitely."
"Three centuries?" Arkyn shook his head. "Is it higher or lower?"
"I'm not saying."
"Why not? I already think you're old."
"I was alive when Galileo invented the telescope. Well by alive, I mean, a vampire."
"When was that?"
"Uh uh. You can figure it out."
"Fine." She rolled her eyes. "So how do you know, um, Alexis?"
"I knew her mother."
"Oh. Wow. Damn."
"Yeah. I was there when she was born, and as she grew."
"So she knows you're a vampire?"
"Yeah. She does. Both she and her brother." Arkyn finished his drink. "I should go. It was nice seeing you again, Bonnie."
"Wait." She stopped him.
"Look, I'm not the best person to choose to spend time with. I've done things I'm not proud of, and you've already been through a lot."
"So you're basically dumping me, without us having ever gone out."
"Bonnie. I am a vampire. You know what that means? I have killed. You are innocent. Don't let me ruin that."
"How many?"
"What?"
"How many?" She repeated. "How many lives have you taken?"
"Too many." Arkyn replied. "I'm not a good person."
"Then why did my grams like you?"
"I have no idea."
"My grams isn't foolish. Wasn't foolish. She didn't just trust anyone, but she trusted you. And she trusted you with me. Which means there's no way you can be as bad as you make yourself out to be."
"Well, I'm dangerous."
"You make me feel safe." She countered.
"You have no idea what I've done."
"Are you as bad as Damon?"
"I might be."
"So you'd abuse an innocent girl- use her as your blood bag? Use people to get what you want? Kill with no remorse?"
"Would you want to stay away if I said yes?"
"I don't believe that."
"People who get close to me die, Bonnie. You get that? They die. I won't let that happen to you." Arkyn stood and walked away. She followed him out.
"I don't know why I'm fighting so hard for you. I hate vampires. I hate Damon and Stefan more than I thought it'd be possible to hate someone. I hate that vampires are predatory creatures, who prey on humans. I just... hate vampires." She said. "But there's something about you. You're a good man. Vampire or not. I can't bring myself to hate you, and I don't even know why."
"Stop." He said. "Please. You don't know what you're getting into."
"Then tell me."
"I can't."
"Why not?"
"I have siblings much much worse than Damon or Stefan. So evil that they make even Damon look like an innocent baby. I've partaken in some evil stuff, myself. So don't tell me I'm good. Because I'm far from it." He walked away and this time she didn't stop him.