16

Bonnie was at the masquerade ball waiting with Jeremy.
"So where's your boyfriend?" He asked.
"I didn't tell him about Katherine."
"Why not?"
"Because he knows her. And he doesn't want any of us involved with her. At all."
"How does he know her?"
"He knew her back when she was human." Bonnie shrugged. Jeremy nodded and looked down at his phone, and saw Damon's text.
"My turn." Jeremy walked away, as Alexis walked over to Bonnie.
"Who was that?" Alexis looked at him walking away.
"Elena's brother." Bonnie said.
"He's cute."
"How's Ark?" Bonnie asked.
"He'll be okay. He should be better by tonight. He made us put a boundary spell around his room for the week, and leave him alone."
"Why?"
"Arkyn's the type that would rather suffer alone. He doesn't want those he cares about seeing him so unlike himself."
"That bad?"
"How do you do it?" Alexis asked, suddenly.
"Do what?"
"Arkyn likes to close himself off. But with you, he's happy and open."
"You think he's open with me?"
"Most definitely."
"There's so much I don't know about him. He's like a huge enigma."

Arkyn finally felt better two days after he started suffering from the effects of the bite, but stayed in his room until the week was over. When he finally felt the boundary spell lift, he went straight out of his room, and saw Xavier.
"Hey." Xavier was propped up on the couch as he watched a movie.
"Hi."
"Where Alexis?"
"Founder's ball."
"Right. That was tonight?"
"Yeah."
"You didn't feel like going?"
"Somehow I don't think leather jackets and jeans are the appropriate dress code." Xavier replied. "Are you going to go meet Bonnie?"
"I think the party's almost over by now. I'll see her tomorrow," he sat next to Xavier. "What are you watching?"
"Iron man two."

Arkyn and Xavier stayed up half the night, watching movies and talking, waiting for Alexis to get home. He called her phone, and got a text in reply telling him she was staying over at Elena's. That text somewhat reassured him, but confused him. Alexis barely knew Elena. They both waited until the next morning before heading over to the Gilbert household. Jeremy answered.
"Hey, you're Bonnie's boyfriend, aren't you?" He said in recognition.
"Yeah. I usually go by Ark. I'm looking for Alexis. About yea high," He held out his hand at about his shoulder. "Dark hair, sassy. This is her brother."
"Sorry, haven't seen her since last night."
"She said she was staying here with Elena."
"Elena's not here either. I thought Elena was with Stefan." Jeremy frowned. "Wait, let me get my jacket. They might be at school."
"Fine," Jeremy unhooked a jacket from the coat rack and they got in Ark's car.

Xavier was worried for his sister.
"Xave, you might wanna ease off the gas. I might be immortal, but you and Jeremy are not." Arkyn said.
"Right." Xavier realised he was going too fast. "Sorry."
"She'll be fine." Arkyn comforted. "In fact, she's probably at school."
"Yeah. Probably." He relaxed a little. Jeremy just sat quietly in the back, as they pulled up.
"Wait in the car, Xave. I'll text you if I find her." Arkyn said, once he parked the car. Xavier looked as though he were about to protest, but thought better of it. Jeremy and Arkyn quickly found Stefan.
"Stefan. Did Elena stay over at the boarding house last night?" Jeremy asked.
"Or Alexis." Arkyn added.
"What? No." He shook his head. "I haven't seen either of them since last night. Why?"
"Because Elena didn't come home last night, and neither did Alexis. Mrs Lockwood said Elena's car was still in the driveway, so I assumed she was with you."
"I'll find her." Stefan said, as Arkyn texted Xavier. "Can you go find Bonnie, Jeremy? We'll be outside."
Soon Damon arrived, and he, Stefan, Arkyn and Xavier stood trying to figure out where the girls could be.
"This has Katherine written all over it."
"Katherine?" Arkyn asked and he came to a realisation.
"Katherine's in the tomb. Trust me; I'm the one who shut her in." Damon defended.
"What did you guys do? What did I miss?" Arkyn asked.
"We tried to kill Katherine yesterday."
"And I locked her in the tomb."
"Did you?" Stefan questioned.
"Did I what, Stefan?"
"Well, I know the hold that Katherine has on you."
"She's in the tomb, period. End of story but she did say something to me right before I shut her in. I thought she was lying."
"What did she say?"
"Elena's in danger."
"Ark." Xavier looked at him.
"I know."
"What is it?" Stefan asked, looking suspiciously at the two.
"Nothing." Arkyn said. "We gotta go."
"What? Where?"
"To find the girls." Arkyn and Xavier got in his car and drove away.
"Can I finally do a locator spell?"
"Yeah." Arkyn nodded and drove to his house. As soon as he got home, Xavier jumped out and started his spell. "I'm sorry. I was stupid to think a simple warning would have sent Katerina away. I should've gotten you guys out of this town as soon as I found out there was a doppelgänger here, or killed Katerina."
"It's not your fault."
"I'm sorry."
"We don't blame you. Never have. We followed you here. You gave us an out, we decided to stay with you. Now shut up so I can concentrate." Xavier said and Arkyn sighed and paced the window.