16

To say the least, Eliza was struck with grief after the loss of her sister

To say the least, Eliza was struck with grief after the loss of her sister. She felt as though it was her fault it even happened. She thought, if she had just forgiven her sister in the first place, Victoria would have never come back to town to meet her untimely death.

A part of her wondered if the person responsible for her sister's death was her own father, but she didn't know for sure. She hoped to find out soon, but she didn't know if it would actually happen.

Eliza wiped the tears from her eyes as she choked back a sob, taking out some pajamas to change into after taking a shower. Her hands were covered in her sister's blood and after wiping tears from her eyes so many times, there was a bit of smeared blood on her face also.

Holding the clothes in her hands, Eliza turned to Johnny, who stood in the doorway, refusing to leave her side after what she had been through, "You know, you don't have to stay with me," Eliza reminded him quietly.

"I made a promise to you that I wouldn't leave you in your time of need, Eliza. I intend to keep that promise," He explained to her, "I can tell you're trying your hardest not to break down right now. You know it's okay to show your emotions, right? You just lost your sister. No matter how strained your relationship was when she passed, she was still your big sister. Your only sibling."

Eliza gave Johnny a small, fragile smile, "How can you read me so well? You always know when I'm lying or when I'm acting differently. How do you do it?" She asked him quietly.

"Because I know you. Eliza," Johnny replied, "I pay attention."

Eliza stared at Johnny longingly for a brief moment before looking away, "I better go take a shower." She said quietly before walking past Johnny and to the bathroom.

She switched on the shower before stripping herself of her clothes. She let out a deep breath before stepping into the shower, the hot, steaming water hitting her frigid, cold body.

She shuddered a bit before placing her hands under the shower head. She rubbed her hands together, allowing her sister's blood to wash off. She let out a small cry, flashes of her sister's corpse being rolled away in a body bag.

She shook her head slightly, snapping herself out of those thoughts. Eliza took a step forward, placing her face under the showerhead. She tilted her head upwards and closed her eyes, allowing the water to hit her face. She used her now blood-free hands to rub the blood off her face.

Her eyes remained closed as she thought back to the day her sister left town.

Flashback; Five years earlier

A ten-year-old Eliza ran out of her father's trailer at Sunnyside Trailer Park to see her older sister, Victoria, placing her two suitcases in the back seat of her Impala, "Victoria!' Eliza shouted out, tears threatening to spill from her eyes as she ran over to her sister, "You're just going to leave me here?"