Chapter 05: Goldwyn City

Chapter 5
Goldwyn City

Silence was filling the room and it was awkward. Faust holding a few papers, Rex reading some, and them, not saying a word was very awkward in a way.

Finally, Rex held down the papers and heaved an angry sigh.

"And what was your plan on keeping this a secret to me? I am his only family left!"

"I wasn't actually going to hide it from you. It's just that, with the operation going to really cost much, I had to prepare you for this news. That's why I told you about the money and the two months' time he had left."

"Do it."

"What?" Faust was surprised with the change of tone on Rex's hoarse sounding voice.

"The operation! Do it! I will prepare the money."

"Are you out of your mind?!" Faust exclaimed. "If you do that, then what? You're going to take him home and take care of him there? Do you have money for his medicines? What about proper care, do you know how to do it? Let's talk about his hygiene. Are you even sure you can take care of him? How are you going to feed yourself? You can't even work for the next six months of your life, not even for the next year after you heal yourself! This was kept a secret from you exactly because of situations such as this!"

Reality struck Rex like a large meteor. Now he understood why. He knew that the papers only told a few numbers, information, and a fraction of the real problem. His brother has a weak body and he was rejecting the medicine. He needed a bone marrow transplant, a brain surgery, and new anti-bodies. And both are going to cost lots of money, adding up the fact that he was still in a coma. 

Even with the operation, it's still unknown when he's going to wake up. And until that time comes, they had no choice but to attach Baron to the life support machine. 

He knew that this was coming. Baron's vegetable condition was already a sign itself. Then at that point, Faust saw the card tucked on Rex's hand.

"Wait...is that..."

"Augustus." Rex's mouth moved. "I heard you in the corridor."

Faust closed his eyes and broke down on the seat. 

"So you heard it?"

"Not all of it."

"Even so, you already knew. So that's why you were silent." He covered his face with a hand and then removed it, looking straight into Rex's eyes. "Are you planning on asking him for help?"

Rex took a moment to look at the card before nodding.

"Don't." That short prompt made Rex think. "I know you know of his kind already, but he is different. He will use you beyond your debt's payment."

"Even so. Baron's life is at stake. I can live with it."

"It's still too soon for you to make up your mind."

Rex looked at Faust and the doctor sighed. He leans on the chair and put a hand on his mouth while looking at the papers in the table.

"Did you hear about...my past mistake?"

Rex felt a surge of emotion in those words. Even if he felt that it was out of bounds, he still needed to know why Faust was against the idea of asking for the help of that man. After all, he already had the feeling that the man named Augustus is telling him something else. Something that was already obvious yet, it was still hidden in front of him.

"Only of the mistake. Nothing more."

"Before me and your father came here, we spent a year of internship on another hospital. There, we met a patient named Maya."