Chapter 12: I Am...

Chapter 12

I Am…

Loni was stomping the ground with frustration. She was having a bad day. As she and her group headed for the Walled City of Aarun, in this forest path, her party members were looking at her wearing smiles.

“Stop it, Loni. It can‘t be helped.” Said his party’s leader, Thorn, a Sword Mage. “No one knew that it‘d turn out that way.”

“In any case,” Henna, a female ranger, butted in. “we still got a few useful loot. It‘s still not a wasted effort.”

Loni dragged her eyes on her teammates. “I just hate it when we put so much effort and the target escapes!”

“You‘re not the only one.” Said Fuma, a pure Mage.

This group of four, very few for a hunting party, are composed of people who’s been playing the game since its first release. Loni was the newest addition to their party but with her talent in archery, sword, and magic, it did not take long before her party members accepted her. It could also be blamed with her beautiful features.

Loni entered this game with the sole purpose of just looking for inspiration. She was a writer in real life. In her works, compassion, wisdom, friendship, and love can be seen. But she herself does not have all of those qualities. In truth, she could be considered a secretive and cold hearted person. It could be said that with the way she grew up alone, she developed a barrier that can reject anyone’s effort to get close to her.

Maybe, the only person to ever succeed on breaching that barrier was her grandfather who had a personality she had never encountered before.

Ever since she played Terroa, she had learned how to talk to people. She enjoyed these three’s company and she slowly learned how to talk to them naturally. But in real life, her inner sense to put up the defense towards the people still overpowers her desire to have a bond.

In short, this here, right now, is what she’d call her life and these people are what she could call her friends.

Also, the Loni with them was the real her.

“Aaaahh…Thorn, why did we even took that B-rank mission? If it was just to kill it, it would have been easy but to catch it…”

“I told you Loni, that mission was just a tool for us to get into that A-rank quest.”

Then Henna put an arm over her shoulders. “Loni, you little thing, stop sulking and cheer up. We will be in the city soon, if we sell these stuff, we can still get a lot of money.”

“And then we can buy our own house!” Fuma cried out joyfully. He was a Maven. And to emphasize the fact that he was a Mage, he even chose to wore an eye glass accessory that adds 2% manna regeneration. But in fact, it was just to copy a protagonist of that one book that became a famous movie.

Loni could only pout and to let go of her frustration, she shot an arrow towards a random direction inside the forest. The arrow landed somewhere far off and a loud roar followed its sound.

“Stop!” Thorn spread his arm.

“What was that?!” Henna stopped and they followed.

“Don‘t tell me you actually hit something?” 

“Stop kidding.” Loni nudged Fuma’s arm. “It‘s not possible. It‘s just a random…”

And then a second roar followed by an explosive sound echoed in the surroundings and the four of them exchanged looks. Nodding to each other, they sneaked up on the direction of the sounds and saw a hunter fighting with a D-class monster, on his own.