Chapter 04: Shadow's Invitation

Chapter 4
Shadow's Invitation

Night was upon them when they arrived at the hospital's gates. Rex is having lowered shoulders while Amanda was looking at him with anxious pair of eyes.

"Rex..."

"I'm alright." He turned to her and smiled. "I'm just thinking."

"Are you really alright? With how I can see your expression, you don't seem to be in good terms."

"One and a half month." Rex said. "According to my calculations, mom and dad's savings are only good enough for him for the next one and a half month. Thinking about it makes me anxious. What if he still won't wake up after that time?"

Amanda bit her lower lip and fell into silence. 

Then an idea came from her mouth. "I will help with my salary."

"Don't be a fool!" Rex's voice came a little bit hoarse and a slight pain came from his throat. Still, his tone was strong and direct. "We are not your relatives, we don't share any kind of connection, and you also have other important things to do. This is our problem. I can still manage by that time."

Feeling kind of offended, Amanda's brows joined together and she pouted and crossed her arms.

Seeing this and her slowed pace, Rex turned around and spoke in a milder tone. "I'm sorry I yelled. Look, it's not that I don't want to receive your help. But it's just that you've already done too much out of your line of work to help me. I just don't want to feel in debt to you for some reason. And even if you tell me that it wasn't any kind of debt to be paid, I would still feel the same way."

"But..."

"Besides, not only you also need to spend your money with your family, it's still too soon to say that I might really need your help."

For the first time in a while, Amanda saw a smile on Rex's sober expressions. This sight also brightened up her mood and she went to his side close enough to almost make anyone think they were in a relationship.

Rex was a bad ass type. He walks while having his hand on his pocket. But since his left arm was still in a cast, his right hand hugged the envelope that contained the papers from the bank. The sight from behind made Amanda blush. His physique had regained some of his original weight and his broad shoulders looked as if it was of a man older than her. And so, she slowly moved her hand as if to anchor it to his arm.

But when they came in the hospital, they saw a limousine parked in front the main building. The two marveled on the silver wheels and the expensive extravagantness of the vehicle and it was here that Head Nurse Martha called out for her then to him.

"Amanda. You're off now. You can go home. You, go upstairs and eat. We will talk about your mission later."

The two abided with the orders and Amanda said her goodbye to Rex. Rex waved a hand to her and she felt the missed opportunity when she left the premises.

Rex's hospital room was in the privileged ones. It was a courtesy from the hospital management. Aside from the discount from their fees and the cargo truck's company's support on his hospitalization, the room was also a gift from the hospital as part of his parents' medical insurance. After all, they worked here for 15 years before being scouted.

When he was preparing to change, he remembered to visit his brother first and so he skipped the meal and went ahead. 

There, he heard voices talking in front of the room.

The first voice was Doctor Faust while the other was from a man Rex thought was someone from his personal life.

"And you came here telling me this nonsense? I'm a doctor and I know better than just intuition."