Chapter 32: Janus

Chapter 32

Janus

 The phone in the office was ringing. Carl picked it up with the notion that he will receive a scolding.

[Where the hell is my report, Carl?!]

“P-President…I-I just got the report, sir, and I was actually on my way to call you.”

[Good gracious! Do I have to call you first to check on it every time?! It‘s been 70 days, Carl! 70 freaking days where I don‘t know what’s already happening to my game world!]

“But sir, there wasn‘t really any visible changes in Terroa since the update…”

[You‘d better be sure about that, Carl, or I will hang your neck with that phone cord.]

Carl gulped and touched his neck. The Boss is angry but then when he thought of his report, the tension he felt all these time vanished and was replaced with a streak of confidence.

“S-Sir…about the report.”

[Come on, tell me. And be quick and precise with it.]

“Ah, actually sir, we found the fruit of the update.”

[Fruit?]

“Y-Yes sir. But you won‘t gonna like it.”

[At this point, Carl, I think there‘s nothing I don‘t like more than you beating the bush. JUST TELL ME!]

“Janus’ restraining program have been overwritten!”

[Janus’ what was overwritten?]

“Janus’ restraining protocol sir. The one that limits the production of quests and missions…sir.”

On the other line, the President made exhales and it sounded calm and composed as opposed to the furious voice on the phone line up until now.

[Tell me, Carl, what does this protocol do? Will it affect the money going in to our pockets?]

“In the long run sir, it will.” Again, Carl swallowed.

[How?] The president’s tone sounded as if the calm before a great storm, that instant when it was just a few moments more before the angry winds came back.

“The Restraining Protocol is the program that let‘s us control Janus from this side, sir. And the update…”

[And the update?]

“And the update not only created a lot of X-Class quests and missions, it also unlocked, no, to put it more accurately, it locked our control over Janus, sir.”

And the sound of something breaking as it hit the wall echoed on Carl’s end. He pulled the ear piece away from his ear as the President’s voice came back with a more thundering and frightening tone.

[What’s that supposed to mean, Carl?! What do you mean we can‘t control Janus?]

“We can’t, sir. The update’s source is still unknown, but the fruit of the update had been traced to directly affect Janus and it unlocked the world Quest-Missions Generation Protocol. Meaning, sir, that from the day of the update, Janus had been operating solely on his own and does not actually require any outside input nor any maintenance.”

[You’re saying that Janus had just became the god of Terroa? Is that what you were saying?]

“Practically sir, yes.”

Again, something fragile broke on the other side.

[…ck! What can we do to reverse it?]

“We can‘t sir.”