Chapter 08: Time is Running

Chapter 8

Time is Running

The road back was quiet. No words came from Rex since his benefactor did not bother to come with him on his way back. In the limousine, there was only him, the driver, and the holographic TV stuck on a channel that showed only news about current events.

He stretched out his hand and a panel popped out on the tip of his finger. His hands moved, skipping channel after channel after finally, he saw the channel he was looking for.

It was a channel solely dedicated to Terroa.

In actuality, there are almost five to eight channels like this one but if other channels that solely dedicates itself on other game titles were to be included, the numbers of channels that talks about the VRMMORPG genre would easily reach 30.

That said, he chose this channel not because it was the most popular one amongst the list of channels for Terroa, but it was actually because this one is directly under the same company that developed the game.

His parents often watched here, monitoring the few developments of the players. They were proud of their work, but the feelings never reached Rex…until now.

In the screen, a player was being interviewed by a male host and beside him was his partner, Kathleen Brew. The player boldly revealed his face and name, for there was no sense on hiding it from everyone else. 

Rex knew why.

He’s one of the pioneers.

The interview was about the incoming war of two guilds. He belonged to the aggressive TGG and basing on the smile on his lips he thinks he belonged to the circle of the strong.

He was called Gats by the anchors and Rex watched and studied him. It was a habit he inherited since he is a person who never once trusted anyone else aside from the people he grew up knowing. His reason for such is because it may come to a point where he might meet the man and become his competition. 

The man, with his face and shoulder the only shown part in the TV, explained why they are attacking the other guild and from there, even Rex sympathized with him.

But when the interview was about to reach a point to the climax, the speaker from the driver’s seat made a sound and his attention was snatched by the voice.

“Master Kingsley, we‘re here.”

Rex looked outside and saw that they were inside a private subdivision. Rows of monotoned colored gates lined 4 to 6 meters apart. Some of the houses are taller than the rest, with colorful gates different from the unit beside them. In short, this is a townhouse subdivision and they stopped in front of one unit.

Onlookers and curious residents gathered not too far from them and Rex got off in a slow pace.

He can hear the sounds of whispers in the people gathered around them and all the while, he carried the package that was given to him with difficulty. Then he turned towards the driver and asked:

“Are these people also part of your group?”

“No.” The driver got off and helped him. They entered the house. Rex saw that aside from basic living equipments, a TV, and a phone unit, there was nothing else inside the townhouse unit. 

At least there was a fridge…

“Up here.” The driver spoke.

Rex followed the man upstairs and confirmed that the house was prepared specifically for a single person.