Chapter 06: The Game of Wills

Chapter 6

The Game of Wills

Rex took a wonder as he looked outside the window. The people 30 meters below all wore the same mask as him. Not one of them knew one another. The sight of the blinking ads and lights below really gave the impression of a Las Vegas avenue.

Though it was called underground, there were no signs of it being an untidy place. The streets where e-cars and e-bikes ran are all well maintained and no pedestrians are crossing the streets illegally.

In a complete sense of the word, it was a dream-like state for the messed up City of Manila. Rex thought, if only the world above could be like this...

Augustus had a contented expression behind that mask. Rex felt a chilling cold personality peeking on the curve line on his face. It was as if this man's soul is a deep well that runs no end, abundant in resources, yet, he never cared giving away any of it. It was as if he exists only to sprout envy, wrath, hate, and gluttony to the men that surrounds him. 

Unknowingly, he dragged his eyes on the man on his left, the bearded guy was intimidated by that smile and that gave Rex the impression that his thoughts were right.

They arrived in the dome and he saw other men and women in their own colorful set of masks. They were all looking around, a proof that like him, it was also their first time being here. He slowly dismounted from the limousine and the people who saw him all made an intimidated reaction. 

Rex did not bother glancing at them, instead, he had focused his attention on the different entrance that their vehicle had stopped.

"You're coming with me." Augustus spoke and the bald guy put a heavy hand on his injured shoulder.

Taking a different path than the masked group and they ended up in a balcony, overseeing the stage and the crowd 40 meters below. 

Rex immediately took his visual count to almost around a few thousands, maybe around ten of thousand. These many gathered people inside that big dome, he could only imagine the size of it.

"This many people...they're all the same."

"Your intuition is sharper than you take credit for. You're right, these are all your competition. The same as the people on the other balcony."

The moment Augustus said that, he saw a few men and women in the same level of balcony as them. Their balcony was in the slightly middle to the right of the center where a woman in a white mask was standing behind an old man, also in mask, in extravagant dotted coat. It may seem that the cloak itself was made from countless skins of dotted animals.

On the further left, there were two masked men with the same height and same posture standing behind a masked woman who's, with all obvious fact, was a beautiful yet dangerously seductive kind of boss using a pipe. Their location was about 50 meters away from them and upon realizing that they were looking at each other, the woman sent a flying kiss at him that made him avert his gaze.

These people are just few of the many that he saw in the balcony areas. They are all VIPs with their own set of agenda and purpose for coming.

Basing alone on the level of their ability to gather and actually organize an event of such grand scale, Rex knew that whatever this man's group is, they are a set of people who wielded a power the same as that of a country's leader. 

Heh. He won't be surprised if one of these days, they would announce of a war happening somewhere. Who knows just how much influence they really have. He don't care. He was not part of their world.

To that thought, a drop of sweat on Rex's temple woke him up on his big bizarre imagination.

As the crowd made their noise, the lights inside the dome turned off and they all went silent. A holographic countdown played on the stage but in truth it was directly fed into the masks they wore. The audio was clear and as the countdown reached zero, the real actual content started to play. It was a video that which Rex was fully familiar about.