Chapter 07: Family and Power

Chapter 7

Family and Power

“Did you like the video?” Augustus asked and Rex was taken aback with surprise.

“Why ask about the video? I bet you already knew about who I am.”

On his words, Augustus’s cold sinister smile came and it was here that Rex somehow found the time to relax. While the other bodyguards were feeling tensed up, Rex was somehow oddly becoming calm facing that kind of pressure.

It was even more worrying when Augustus was hiding his fangs than bearing them.

“You just became a superstar. And your family is also a superstar in their own respect.”

“Leave my family alone!”

“Don’t worry, I don’t have the plan on wasting my time on trifling things so I will tell you straight.” At this point, Augustus’s gaze pierced through the mask and Rex knew from the intensity that this man was serious. “The job I’m going to give you is not like theirs. While those people below are busy hunting impossible to find things, I want you to instead hunt down the secrets of the game.”

It was here that Rex was lost. Still, the intense gaze from the man forbade him from making a reaction. And all he could do was listen intently on his words.

Rex knew, escape from his clasps is impossible.

He had just made a huge mistake of wanting his help in the first place. He met the wrong man, asked at the wrong time, and came to the wrong place.

“There are over hundreds of thousands of secrets in this game, Mister Kingsley. Secrets that costs more money than those silly things they use to improve combat ability. Bring me those secrets and I will pay you accordingly. Abandon this job and you will be sure to find your dear little brother inside his coffin sooner than you think.”

A threat, Rex thought, what a familiar sound. It is more relaxing hearing these things than not hearing them at all because whenever he receives some, his mind work faster and smoother than normal.

He had experienced many life threatening things like this in his short teenage life. Those people who lost their avatars in Terroa bent their frustration and anger to him and his family. Some even went as far as kidnapping and pointing a gun on his head and they all meant to kill him because they lost their money in buying the game and could not afford to buy the expensive game again. 

It was because Terroa is a game where a starting avatar is 75% less expensive than when you buy another avatar again. 

The game was that much addictive that they would resort to those unlawful things just to relieve their anger. Blaming him and his family was their way out of frustration. And time and time again, he punished them all using his fists. If there was a reason why he never played Terroa despite his parents’ urge, it would be this very same reason itself. Why would he put himself in a tighter spot than he was then?

He had become his family’s shield in the backdrop. He had protected them against real threats like the ones he had received just now. He beat them all up and told them of their weakness why they died in the game. 

It wasn’t anyone else’s fault, never was, it was their fault for being weak. Terroa is a game that challenges your will and your wits. It was meant to test one’s mettle. From before it was even released, information about its system, its nature, about its story, and who its target market was is already announced.

At this point, he remembered his father’s words and realized that he was right. And even so, right now, he had something that he must protect no matter what.