Chapter 12, What We Are

*Okay, I told you guys I'd warn you when a chapter is mostly thoughts and info on the specifics. So yes, this chapter is one of those chapters.

 It just gives you some info on the main character, Void, and her thoughts on the current war, as well as abilities and other characters. 

If you want to skip it and go to the next chapter, go ahead, but I'd suggest reading it so you know the characters and abilities better. 

Okay, enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 825  

- Void Icefall -

As I'm walking through the quiet halls, my mind wanders to what caused this war to start; the differences between being a Vex and being a Hostile.

The Vexes are always trying to kill us because they want our lands, our kingdom. And Outlanders, like myself, live here. And the King of the Vexes wants to use us and our abilities for himself. That's all we are to these kings. Tools that they can use and dispose of. And it infuriates me. 

Hostiles are always trying to kill the Vexes because of pride. The King of the Hostiles won't give up an inch of his land, his kingdom. He is too proud and stubborn. Especially if it's to another King. 

 -----------------------------------------------

As I mentioned before, Outlanders have abilities.

When I say abilities, I mean powers like mind reading, invisibility, mind control, healing, and being able to control the elements.

And since that's a lot to say and explain, each power has a name.

Mind readers are called Mentals.

People with the power of invisibility are called Concealers.

Mind controllers are called Possessers.

Healers are Menders.

And depending on what element you control; you have a certain name as well.

Fire controllers are called Embers.

Ice controllers are Frigids.

Earth controllers are Surfacers.

Wind controllers are Cyclones.

And of course, that's only the powers we know of. Who knows what other abilities exist out there?

--------------------------------------------------

Even assassins have best friends, and for me, my teammates are my best friends.

The six other Hushes. They are Outlanders, too. Also stuck as the King's pets, like me. 

There's Indigo, Raven, Jack, Coal, Logan, and Leo.

Indigo is a powerful shapeshifter, being able to turn into not only animals but people and objects.

Raven has a mind so strong she can move a whole army with her telekinesis ability.

Jack is an incredibly powerful illusionist. His ability is amazingly realistic, and he can create shockingly vivid and physical illusions. Let's just say I'm glad he's on our side because he is incredibly dangerous and powerful. 

Coal has an unknown power, but the closest we can get to classifying it is the powers of a Surfacer. His power is incredibly powerful and provides himself with full-body armor. He has eerily completely-black eyes. After spending most of your life with him though, you get used to it real fast. I asked him once if it was hard to move and if it hurt to transform.

He told me that he actually becomes very fast and surprisingly agile when he transforms. Coal also reassured me that it didn't hurt to transform. Depending on what temperature he wanted to be, transforming could either warm him up or cool him down.

Logan has the ability to teleport, and he can not only teleport himself but as many people as he wanted to. Logan just has to think about a certain person or a group of people, and he can teleport them, and himself, anywhere.

And then there's Leo. My best friend. He has the ability to make and control fire with just his mind, also known as Pyrokinesis. 

It's scary when we get missions, whether it's together or by ourselves because we never know if everyone will come back safely. It would save me a lot of headaches if I wasn't friends with them, just acquaintances. 

But no. These are people I've trained for almost a decade, each of us training to become a Hush. To protect our families and people we love from the King's wrath if we don't do what he says. 

How can I not be friends with the people I've spent most of my life with? 

I believe that having best friends as your teammates make a better team. We trust each other more and take care of one another.

 Even though I don't want to feel the hurt of losing someone again, I'd rather take the risk of having my teammates as best friends than to spend most of my life with them and still see them as strangers.