Chapter 4, The Escape

*What did the bear writer say to the other bear that was reading his boring book? 'Bear' with me...XD

I know, I'm hilarious. :)

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow! :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1072 words

Leo Doitean

As soon as I heard those footsteps, my heart started beating wildly in my chest, like it was trying to run away.

 I locked eyes with the girl I nicknamed as 'Winter' and nodded to her, acknowledging that I heard the footsteps. We both run away from the barred door, and she probably heads to her cot, like me. 

I pretend to sleep, and soon I hear a door creak open. At first, I think that it's the barred door to my jail cell that opened, but the sound comes from somewhere farther away. I soon realize that Winter's door is the one that opened. 

I don't know if I should feel relieved or scared.

It's silent for a moment, like the calm before the storm. And then everything goes crazy.

I hear men shrieking in pain, and soon the temperature drops as the whole place suddenly become very cold.

I don't know for sure what's going on, but I have a feeling that the nickname I gave the ice-blue eyed girl is pretty fitting.

I open my eyes, still lying on my cot. I watch with shock and curiosity as ice starts seeping under the crack of the seemingly invincible door. I already tried melting the barred door, but no luck.

Everything is silent again.

Then, I hear her voice. Winter's voice. 

"Red-head? I'm coming to unlock your door so please don't shoot fireballs at me. I'd rather not be on fire as we escape this place."

And all I can think is, 'Dang. That girl knows what she's doing.'

"Okay!" I respond. "I won't set you on fire," I say, smiling a bit.

In response, Winter opens the heavy, barred door. She looks at me, casually swinging the keys around her index finger. A smirk occupies her face, and she looks pleased with what she's accomplished.

And right then and there, I think I love her.

'Woah!' I think to myself. 'I need to chill.'

"Hurry up, Red-head. More guards will be coming in any minute." And with that, Winter turns around and starts jogging down the hallway, not waiting to see if I followed.

I quickly get up and run after her, making sure I still have my not-so-lucky charm around my neck. Even though it's not lucky, it's the last thing I have from my family, who I don't even know is alive or not. 

So I run after Winter through the hallways. I hope against hope that she has some type of plan because I don't. 

--------------------------------------------------------

Soon, we come across guards. They have the winged insignia of the Hostile guards. And that's when reality hits me - we're in THE castle. The King's castle. 

'Oh, shoot.' I think to myself. 

This isn't going to be an easy escape. 

We run past the guards, and at first, they're confused, but then they're running after us. Winter and I keep running past guards. They're shocked at first, then join the rest of the group of guards that are running after us. 

At one point, the guards up ahead start blocking our way. I look over at Winter, and she uses her chin to point to the guards in front of us. 

"Cover me!" Winter yells.

We skid to a stop, standing back-to-back. 

And that's when all hell broke loose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Void Icefall

Standing back-to-back, Red-head and I release hell.

I'm freezing the guards in front of me while Red-head is burning the guards in front of him. The floor in front of me gets covered in ice, making the guards slip and fall as some try to grab me while others try to run away. I make sharp pieces of ice that look like knives and throw them at the guards.

I smell smoke as Red-head sets both the guards and the ground they're standing on flaming with fire. Pretty soon, ice sculptures and ash piles litter the ground around us.

I throw a gust of cold wind and blow out the fires in front of Red-head so we can run in that direction.

I'm trying not to smile with pride for what Red-head and I accomplished. We fought off a bunch of grown men.

'Not bad.' I think to myself.

But pretty soon, we see more of the guards up ahead. We already wasted some time dealing with the others, and we can't afford to lose any more time to fighting.

I scan the luxurious hallways with the scarlet red carpet and gold-encrusted curtains - wait, windows. Red-head and I can jump out the window and I can create a pile of snow to land in.

"Red-head! I've got an idea. Just follow my lead!" I declared.

He nods in acknowledgment, as I throw a large, sharp ice shard at the tall window. The window shatters into a million pieces and I waste no time. I run straight to it.

I glance back, and sure enough, Red-head is right behind me.

I'm just about to leap through the window when something jerks me backward. I fall to the ground hard, my head spinning from the impact. I look around, trying to make out who through me back.

At first, I assume it was Red-head, but I soon realize it was one of the guards. Swarms of guards are coming, and soon Red-head and I will be outnumbered. I am unfortunately right.

Already more guards are coming at me as I struggle to get up. Hands grab me and don't let go. I freeze as many as I can but there's too many. Red-head is holding off the other guards from grabbing him, and he gives me an anxious, torn look.

He's close to the window. I'm the only thing holding him back from jumping. He probably doesn't know whether he should leave me behind.

So I decide for him.

"Go, Red-head! Get out of here!!!" I yell at him.

An emotion I can't pinpoint passes across his face, and he opens his mouth to say something. I don't find out what he was going to say, though, because, for the second time today, I get punched in the face.

Everything goes black.