Chapter 11, A Bit of a Player

Lucas Peterson (Picture above)

*Get ready to be introduced to the player bad-boy and prince of the Vexes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1,259 

Lucas Peterson 

It was a moonless night.

A dangerous night.

By now, Vexes knew how much the Hostiles favor a moonless night.

It's harder to see when there's no moon in the sky to expose enemies hiding in the shadows.

I have to be alert, or I'll be dead along with my mother.

-----------------------------------------------

"You're safe. It's fine." I repeat to myself multiple times, trying to calm my already-on-the-edge nerves.

Because if the plan goes wrong, I could end up killed.

And that is thanks to the fact that I am somebody important. 

But apparently not important enough to not to be used as bait.

Everyone who's anyone knows I am the prince of the Vexes.

 I am Prince Lucas.

 My father, King Omar, knows that we are losing The War Of Domination.

 He knows we have no chance to win this war with the Hostiles' assassin group and their unknown leader still out there. 

 So, my father's plan is to create a trap for the Hostiles' assassin group. Then, we will use whoever we capture as a hostage and as an advantage - we use the hostages as blackmail. 

 My father already has an ability-proof dungeon made out of a very rare gemstone called  Benitoite.

 It's very smooth, and impossibly cold all the time.

 I know this because my father showed it to me, and an evil grin had occupied his face as he had explained what it was. The Benitoite would make up the special dungeon, which is specifically for the assassin group.

When we capture the assassin group.

If we capture the assassin group.

---------------------------------------------------

Today is the day I choose my bride.

 I'm 19 and I'm going to be married.

 It might've seemed young before the war started, but now, it's not so unusual. 

My father says it's my duty to not only take over for him as the king soon but also marry and make alliances because we need them badly.

I already know I'm not going to choose any of the brides. I'm with a new girl almost every week, known by most as a player, a cheater, and a heartbreaker. Trust me, those are some of the nicer things people have called me. All because I'm not one for commitments. Whether my father notices this or not, he doesn't acknowledge it. 

So even though I know I'm not choosing a bride, for appearances, I'm in a crisp gray tuxedo, my dirty-blond shaggy hair combed neatly to the side, which is not the way I prefer to have it, but my father thinks differently.

But I still can't help messing with my hair, just slightly, so I can be more like myself. Along with my dirty-blond shaggy hair, I have silver-colored eyes.