Chapter 8, Leap Of Death

* What do you think about Leo's proclamation of love? Tell me in the comments below. :)

*Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1009

- Void Icefall -

My eyes widen slightly at what he said, my breath knocked out of my lungs. Didn't see this coming. I struggle to keep the rest of my face emotionless. Calming myself down, I watch him, and he explains.

"The first time I knew I loved you was when you got me out of that jail cell seven years ago. You had this pleased smirk on your face after opening the barred door, casually swinging the keys around your finger. And that confidence along with that stupid smirk had my heart almost beating out of my chest."

I smile at that, remembering the whole thing as if it were yesterday.

My eyes hover from his diamond eyes to his lips. When I look back to his eyes, there's a question there.

I know exactly what his question is.

'Do you feel the same?' His eyes seem to ask me.

"I love you, too," I whisper back, and his face lights up.

But then I continue. "I just love you differently. Since we met, I saw you as a brother to me. But now, I don't know what I feel. I'm not sure."

After listening to my words, he quickly makes his face blank and emotionless.

"I'm sorry, but you know I'm always honest with you, Red-head," I say, using the nickname I called him when we were little. I feel horrible that my words, though honest, caused the hurt look on his face that he had on before.

He nods, but says nothing, not meeting my eyes.

So I change the subject, going to something both of us understand. The bitterness of being imprisoned to be the King's assassins.

"I'm really tired. Tired of all the dirty work that we do for the stupid King, killing people. I'm tired of the burden. Of being afraid that I'll mess up, and my family and you will suffer because of it, thanks to that stupid deal we were blackmailed into."

My voice breaks as I continue.

"And because we're Outlanders, we'll never escape it. As soon as our usefulness is expired, the King will kill us, like he always does when he can't control someone anymore."

Sympathy and understanding flood his face because it's the same thing for him.

The same invisible chains.

The same burden.

Something hits me so fast that my head spins. Me. I'm the answer. My death will protect my family and Leo because of the contract. They will no longer be in danger of being killed if I mess up if I'm dead.

I decide right then and there that I can't keep living my life leashed to the King.

So I tell Leo, the only person who can understand. "I would love to kill the King. We all would. But if I fail, if we fail, all our families and loved ones will be killed. So there's only one way."

Leo nods slowly, signaling me to continue.

"I made a deal with the King a long time ago, one that will protect you and my family. I've decided to set the deal into motion. Please trust me."

Leo gives me a questioning look, not quite following where this conversation is going.

"All you have to do is promise me something. I'll take care of the rest," I explain, turning my attention down below again, at the beautiful greenness. It's all so peaceful.

I reassure myself that when I die, the contract, the deal, will make sure my family and Leo is safe and taken care of.

Tightening my hold on my dagger, I look at Leo straight in the face. "Leo, promise me that if anything happens to me, you'll take the chance. You'll leave this place and never come back. You'll escape with my family and be free. Please, Leo." I plead in desperation.

Leo looks at me with confusion. "Of course, Void." He assures me quietly.

I sigh in relief and almost do it right then and there. But I realize I want to do one more thing. Before I completely fall into a peace I won't come back from.

I slowly make my way over to him, and when I grab his face in my hands, I'm not teasing him.

"Remember what you promised," I whisper to him.

He barely hears me, staring at my lips.

So I kiss him. Press my lips against his soft ones. And it's so nice, I almost forget about my quickly made plan.

Almost.

I pull back, looking straight into his diamond-blue eyes, and repeat what I said before. "Remember what you promised," After some thought, I add. "And I'm sorry."

He hears me well this time, and I can practically see the cogs turning in his brain as he begins to realize what I'm about to do.

I press the dagger I was holding into his hands so that he holds it. One last gift, from me to him.

I pull back from him and stand on the balcony railing, perfectly balanced.

With one deep breath, I spread my arms out beside me, and I do it.

I jump off of the balcony railing.

My only regret is not saying goodbye to my family. But the contract should keep them safe from the King's wrath. As much as I hate the King, he keeps his promises. And that's what I'm counting on.

Once I die, my family will never have to suffer because I messed up a mission. Leo will escape this place and be free of the King. And we won't have to be the ones to kill the King and Prince of the Vexes.

It's a relief.

Even though the wind screams past me, time seems to slow. And so I'm just falling and falling, and falling into the dark oblivion below.

 And so I'm just falling and falling, and falling into the dark oblivion below