Chapter 1, Predators Of The Night

*Hey guys! First chapter, here we go.

*Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 

Void Icefall 

As soon as the sun sets and disappears from the horizon, everybody scrambles to get inside their houses. It's not safe to be out when it's night time. Even the ones younger than me know that. 

Because once night covers the kingdom, the criminals rule the streets. Some of them are people from my town, so desperate for money that they become thieves and murderers. But most of them are the King's guards, the people that are supposed to protect us.

Anger burns bright in me as I remember a guard hitting a little child who was collecting stones. The mother could do nothing but watch because if she tried to stop the guard, she and her child would be beaten, or worse. How I wish I could use what I've been given from the heavens and serve out justice.

But I can't. People like me, blessed or cursed by the heavens, are hunted down by the King's guards and eliminated. I think the King is afraid of us, of the power we have. He's named people like me Outlanders, outsiders that have no business to be alive.

He's trying to separate us from normal people, make them scared of us. And fear is a powerful thing. But so is want. It's amazing how much money you can get for an Outlander's name and location. Enough money to last a lifetime. So I must keep what I am a secret. I have to hide and cower, like the weak, poor child I'm supposed to be. 

I close my eyes and imagine escaping this place.

 I can already see it -  a life where my stomach is always full, my home isn't broken, I'm not hunted for what I am, and my parents aren't stressed and ashamed of the life they've given me. Karla and her family would be there, too. My best friend and my only friend. 

The thought of it all, the allure of the world I'd created makes me want it so bad. 

'Could I get away from here?' An excited part of me wonders. 

But then I remember the woods that surround the kingdom - the only thing in the way between me and my freedom. It's filled with things that should've stayed in the mythical stories they came from. 

The woods are supposed to stop enemies from getting in, but it also stops people from getting out. It traps us here, keeping us drowning in our misery.

Restless with the thoughts swirling in my head, I roll over and tuck my hands under my head. The mattress is scratchy and uncomfortable, full of hay. But I ignore it and pretend it doesn't bother me like I always do.

I realize then how quiet everything is, and a shock of shivers run down my spine. The unnaturalness of the silence fills me with fear, though I don't know why.

Suddenly I'm afraid that if nothing breaks the silence soon, it'll devour me. With a sigh, I push my foolish fears to the back of my mind and will myself to fall asleep.

Not a moment later a scream pierces the air, so clear and full of fear that it shakes me to my bones. It shatters the silence, and I cover my face with the irrational fear that glass will rain down on me. 

The shock of what I just heard freezes me in place, but the thought of what could make someone so scared is enough to send me running to my small window.

"What the..." I murmur under my breath, unbelieving. 

Across from the small house my parents own is Karla's house. It's probably the only reason I was ever able to meet her since our other neighbors aren't known for being friendly.

Nearby houses' small windows soon light up with the flame of candles. People are waking up, wondering what's going on.

I stare at Karla's house with the gaping door, wondering what's going on, too. The gaping door looks like the dark mouth of a predator ready to swallow the night.

'Is Karla and her family being robbed?' I wonder, confused. Our unfriendly neighbors have been known to rob each other, but Karla and her family don't have anything worthy to rob. Something we both have in common.

To be honest, it's something most of us have in common. We're all just a bunch of poor families trying to make ends meet. Most of the houses are old and small, with holes in the roofs and mold on the walls.

So why in the world are people breaking into Karla's house?

The force of the answer to my question hits me so hard I take a step back. 

Guards. The stupid King's guards. They are searching for Outlanders. Or more specifically, me. But they're in the wrong house. 

Karla could die because of their mistake.

My head starts running through ways I could help. I'm only nine years old, but that doesn't mean I'm without options. I'm an Outlander, too. And us Outlanders need to stick together. 

Mom and Dad told me to never use my powers, not once, not for anything. But I can't just do nothing. Karla is my best friend. She'd do the same for me.

And if she dies because those guards were looking for me, I'll never be able to forgive myself for doing nothing to stop it. 

Another scream echoes into the night, this time sounding broken and so full of agony my heart feels like it's breaking.

So I make my choice. And I summon the power that makes me what I am. Something to be feared and desired at the same time. 

Snow whirls around my fingers in a mini blizzard, turning into knife-like icicles.

Staring at the window, I gaze at my reflection. Determined, prepared to do whatever it takes, with eyes of blue ice.

It's as if my eyes could freeze the world.

 So, so far so good? Tell me what you thought about this chapter in the comments below

 So, so far so good? Tell me what you thought about this chapter in the comments below. And feel free to just tell me how your day went or if anything interesting happened to you lately.

As always, stay chill. :)