Chapter 3, Brother Of Fire

*Hey guys! I thought it would be interesting to add another character's point of view, so here ya go! I hope you like it, and if not...ummm. That's fine. :3

*Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1,002 words

Leo Doitean

Screams pierce the night, full of panic. The sound of crashing and grunts echo all around. The smell of smoke fills the air.

Definitely not the way I wanted to wake up today.

I'm out of my room and standing outside faster than I can process what I'm doing. Houses are on fire. People are being dragged out of their houses by what looks like guards. Some people run into the woods, willing to deal with the monsters instead of being taken away by the guards. 

The houses that aren't on fire are filled with the sound of things crashing and hitting walls in a fury.

And that's when I know. They found us. Us - the Outlanders. It's rare to have powers, but I know multiple people who do. We live close together to protect each other. But right now, as I look around, I don't see any protecting going on. People run in all directions, never stopping to help those who are being thrown into the jail-like carriages that are waiting to be filled.

Somehow I know that the people who get put into those carriage cages won't be coming back.

The King kills people like me. He's scared that we might join together and overthrow him. Fear drives people to do crazy things.

And now that fear is threatening my family.

"Mom! Dad!" I yell as I run back inside to tell my parents what's going on. At first, they're frozen with shock, but then they're all business. My mom goes to wake up my sister, Lily while my dad reminds me of what to do.

"We've planned for this, so don't worry. Stay calm. As long as we don't panic," A scream echoes into the air at that moment, making both of us cringe.

 Clearing his throat, my dad continues weakly, "We'll be fine."

His voice calm despite the fear evident in his diamond-blue eyes. We're in real danger.

I've never felt so guilty.

My family wouldn't be in danger if I wasn't alive. I don't know how the "getting powers" thing works, but I do know that my dad's father had powers. So thanks a lot, grandpa.

My dad doesn't notice my inner terminal and squishes me with a bear hug. My mom and sister come not too long after and join the family moment. 

I reluctantly let go of them and take a good look at their faces. Just in case we don't see each other again, I make sure to memorize each of their attributes.

 My mom with her long brown hair, forest-green eyes, and breathtaking smiles. My dad with his crazy fire-red hair, diamond-blue eyes, and corny jokes. I'm an exact replica of my dad with my red hair and blue eyes. My sister on the other hand is a mix of both, with dad's red hair and mom's green eyes.

If any of them die today, I will never forgive myself.

My mom and I meet eyes. She asks me a question we both know the answer to. "Ready?"

"Yes," I say as my mind screams 'No'. I put on a determined face to reassure my parents. I'm a big boy now. It's time to step up.

We all jump into action, separating to do the jobs we were assigned, just like we practiced. We knew this day would come, but never thought it would come so soon. My dad gets the sword that he never said where he hid. My mom leads Lily to the hidden compartment in my parents' room.

I hurry to our small kitchen to get the emergency pack. It's filled with food, water, a knife, and a metal lucky charm shaped like a flame. It was my great grandpa's necklace. Call it an heirloom, I guess. I lift the wooden board on the floor of the kitchen and quickly grab the sack. Replacing the board, I run to the hiding place as fast as I can.

I'm almost there but suddenly stop when I hear a noise that almost stops my heart - a scream coming from Lily's bedroom. And it sounds a lot like Lily. There shouldn't be anyone in her room, much less Lily herself.

I run to her bedroom and peek inside.

And I'm frozen with fear.

Five guards are in the bedroom, three holding my limp mother and the other two trying to grab my sister. Why did Lily and Mom come to Lily's room? They were supposed to go to the hiding place in my parents' room.

I watch Lily grab two heavy books, her forest-green eyes filled with a mixture of fear and ferocity. She looks ready to throw the heavy books at any second. That's a plus when it comes to loving books - it gives you heavy stuff to throw at people.

The two guards walk closer to her, and she throws the books. The books fly, hitting one of the guards in the head and the other in the chest.

But that doesn't bother them. The books thump off of them and they don't appear hurt. Remind me to next time leave knives in my sister's room instead of books.

The guards laugh and continue to try grabbing my sister. Lily ducks and runs, but one of the guards grabs her foot and she falls.

My vision turns red with my anger at seeing people mess with my family. They're after Lily because they think she's an Outlander, but she doesn't. I'm an Outlander. I'm the one they actually want.

One of the guards in front of my sister pulls out a sword, and my power surges through me.

I'm no longer frozen with fear.

I drop the emergency sack I was holding in my hand, and it thumps to the floor. The guards that are holding my mom notice me.

But it's too late.

My hands flame with fire. When one of the three guards starts coming towards me, I don't hesitate.

I set him on fire.

Oooh! Fire powers? Yep

Oooh! Fire powers? Yep. Those people with powers have to stick together. It would've been better if everybody joined together to protect each other, right? Yeah, well everyone was in a panic so that's that. 

Anyway, how are you guys doing? What's your favorite color? Idk, tell me something random about yourself. 

Comment what you thought about this chapter below.

And as always, stay chill. :)