Chapter 10, Different Thoughts

- You know it's still 7 years later. It's going to be like that for the rest of the book. -

Word Count: 939

Void Icefall

As quickly as Leo put his lips on mine, he pulled away. So many emotions and feelings are running around my head, but I keep a poker face. 

"You're not allowed to do that again. If you die, I'll take my own life. And then when we're ghosts, I'll taunt you about it." He declared before standing up, turning around, and walking towards the castle's gates. 

I lay on the wet ground for a second, not bothered by the cold wind since I'm a Frigid. 

'Gosh, Leo, so much for thinking of you as a brother.' I muse to myself.

Slowly, I sit up and then get up on my feet. I don't know why I do it, but I turn the water on the ground into snow. Maybe it's to forget about the moment Leo and I shared together.

 Now I need something to distract me from thinking about Leo. With that, I walk towards the tower where my balcony is on. 

The same balcony I jumped off of.

Jeez, that was an adrenaline rush for sure.

Too bad I didn't die. Thanks a lot, Leo. 

'The kiss I got from him sure made living worth it.' My mind says, wandering back to Leo.

Nope, stop right there. Think back to the mission that's at hand. Not Leo. Anything but Leo.

I don't feel like following Leo who's walking to the gates after what happened between us. So, I find another way to get back to my bedroom.

I stand on the ground, close to the tower, and I close my eyes for a moment so I can concentrate. I will myself to be lifted by ice. I feel myself start to rise, and I open my eyes. With satisfaction, I survey the ice mound that's building up as it rises, carrying me higher and higher. 

I love trying new things with my powers. It's so much fun. Though I can't practice with my other power, the one I can feel inside me, but can't reach or use. I don't know what it is. All I know is that it grows stronger every day. No one knows about, not even my best friend, Leo. And I like to keep it that way. If the King found out, I'd never be able to get out of the deal. 

Plus, if the Vexes found out, I'd have an even bigger target on my back. At least I'm a known assassin by name, not by face. Officially known as Death Wish. So none of the Vexes' spies attack me on the streets because nobody other than my team and the King know I am the Death Wish.

 Though because of my Outlander ability to control ice and cold elements, some call me the Ice Queen. 

 I know, such a creative nickname.

I finally reach the balcony, and I nimbly climb onto the railing and slide onto the balcony's floor. I will the ice mound I made to get up here to melt, and then I turn it into snow. 

For a moment, I watch the small figure down below, walking to the castle's gates. It's Leo. 

'Why did he jump with me? Did he know I would save him, or was he really willing to die with me?'  I wonder. That kind of thing takes a crazy amount of courage. I sigh.

I look down below at the now snow-filled ground, and even though it's tempting, I don't try jumping off the balcony again. I don't want to have the guilt that Leo died because of me. 

With one last look towards the star-filled night sky, I reluctantly go back into my room, closing the balcony's doors behind me. I sit on my big, soft bed, and with a start, I realize that I should've decorated my room when I had the chance.

To be honest, everything is white, from my bed to the carpet on the floor and the walls of my room. The exceptions are my walnut-wooden desk, chair, and a bookshelf full of my all-time favorite books. I always seem to be too busy with training or reading that I've never given my room a second thought.

Now I wish I did.

I head out into the hall. I need to do something productive instead of giving the voices in my head time to overthink every possible situation for the most important mission Leo and I have ever been assigned.

What's the big mission? Oh, it's not much. (Note the sarcasm.) Leo and I are just going to assassinate the King and Prince of the Vexes, also known as are enemies.

The advisors of the King tell us it will change the war. I'm pretty sure it's just a revenge kill. I think what my team and I about to do is no different than what our enemies, the Vexes, did. We kill somebody they care about; they kill somebody we care about.

It's just a dangerous, vicious cycle of death and revenge.

I've tried pointing this out to the advisors, but they don't listen to an assassin who they think suddenly can't do the job. So, I must prove myself, showing not only the advisors but everyone else once more that I'm capable.

Capable of holding my end of the deal as long as the King holds his end.