Chapter 14, Go-Time

*Thanks for 368 reads! <3

*So far, who's your favorite character?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1,294 

- Void Icefall -

After training with Jack after his failed prank, we met up with the rest of the team. We meet up in my room, so we're not out in the open. 

As we always do when there's an especially big mission, we hug each other and wish each other good luck.

"Keep these boys in check," I teasingly tell Indigo and Raven.

Coal, Jack, and Logan glare at me. I smirk at them.

"Will do," Raven assures me, smiling as she eyes the boys.

With that, Leo and I leave my room and walk silently through the halls. The air around us is tense, and I wish I could blame it on the mission. 

A few moments later, we're on the Ethereal, the jet that has the ability to turn invisible. Sitting down, we strap ourselves in. And then we're in the air.

Tonight there's an eerie feeling in the air like the universe knows that something bad is about to happen. I'm shaking on the inside, but I have to look fearless. For myself, for Leo. Fake it till you make it, right?

At least the Vexes won't see us coming. Literally. The jet is invisible. 

I quickly run the plan through my head one more time.

First, Leo and I need to find a way in. Thanks to certain sources, we know there's usually an open window in the great courtroom, and it's usually empty, so that's a plus.

Next, we take our places, Leo going after the King of the Vexes, me going after the Prince. I pleaded with the King of the Hostiles for Leo and me to switch targets, but he just smiled and said no.

He wants me to worry about Leo's safety.

I get angry just thinking about the way the King so easily messes with my head.

I set my focus back to the present, back to the mission. I can't afford to get distracted right now. It could cost my family's life and Leo's.

There's a lot of improvising because even though we have sources, the Vexes have a ridiculously huge, glossy palace that's not that easy to navigate.

Not surprising, though.

As I'm running all this and multiple scenarios through my head, Leo who's sitting across from me opens his mouth to speak.

"Oh great," I mutter under my breath as I turn to look through the window next to me.

"Hey, Death Wish," Leo says, completely ignoring my comment.

I seriously have a ridiculous amount of nicknames. I already mentioned The Ice Queen, but there's also The Silver Assassin, Death's Fury, and Leo's favorite, Death Wish. And then there are some not-so-appealing nicknames that the Vexes call me, but I'd rather not say those.

Still looking out the window, I ask. "What? Do you need anything?"

"Nah, just checking on you. You okay?"

I can't help but soften a little. I'm so glad he hasn't mentioned anything about the kiss we shared earlier. 

I turn away from the window and look directly at his distracting diamond-blue eyes. "Yeah, I'm just anxious. This is a really big deal, Leo. This is our biggest mission yet. How are you not freaking out?"