Chapter 9, Conflicted Emotions

- 7 years later (still) -

Word Count: 837 

Leo Doitean 

At first, I was confused when Void jumped. But seeing her so vulnerable to the awaiting death below scared me. The fear of her death hit me so hard I'm pretty sure my heart stopped.

I look down at the dagger she gave me, still in my hands. My mind starts processing the words that she had said to me before and after that kiss.

Gosh, that kiss. 

'Bad time to be distracted.' I mentally scold myself.

After getting past the shock of her jumping, my mind started racing.

She's falling to her death.

I could control and make fire, but that would do nothing. Her figure is becoming smaller and smaller as she falls. The fall from this balcony to the floor was roughly forty feet.

Not many could survive that fall.

So I did the first thing that came to mind.

I jumped off the balcony railing too, joining her long fall to the ground below.

Not the smartest thing I've done in my life, and now it's probably the last thing I'll do in my life.

And here I am, following her lead.

But I remember that seven years ago, I promised that where she went, I would follow. As the wind screams past me, my emotions and thoughts spin around my head like a tornado

'Why did she jump?' I wonder.

But I shouldn't ask, because I already know. The burden that both of us carry is heavy. The fear of our families' suffering due to our actions keeps us anxious and aware.

I'm catching up with her, so I yell her name.

"Void!!!" 

She looks up at me, her face both surprised and mad. Now she can't die because that means I'll die with her. I know this when I see it. A big white dot has suddenly appeared on the ground below. 

Right where Void and I are about to land. 

As I get closer and closer to the ground, I realize that the big white dot is a ridiculously large pile of snow.

Void is a what we call a Frigid, which is a person who can control the cold elements. That's how she was able to make the snow pile below us. 

Suddenly, I'm hit with a memory from seven years ago. Void and I, back then, knew each other as Winter and Red-head. You can guess which nickname goes to which person. We were trying to escape the castle, and Void broke a window and made a huge pile of snow to fall onto to soften the impact. But the guards got to her. She wanted me to go without her. But I stayed. For her.

I wonder if she's remembering the memory, too.

A few seconds later, I watch as Void hits the snow, creating a snow angel. A few moments later, I land next to her.

The snow has a fluffy texture to it, though it has a wet feel to it. Other than wet clothes, I'm not broken or splat on the ground. Good to know. Noticing how I'm not feeling pain from any broken bones tells me that Void made sure the snow pile was very deep to soften our fall.

I take a deep breath, so thankful that I still can. I'm cold and wet because of the snow, but I couldn't be happier.

Void's alive. I'm alive. We're alive.

I quickly use my ability, making a fire that covers the whole ice pile.

The fire is special though because I made it specifically to only melt the snow, not Void.

The snow melts into warm water, and I see Void lying on the ground.

Running towards her, I slide on my knees in the water and come to a stop just in front of her. I survey her face, noticing that her eyes are closed.

"Void! Void, wake up!" I yell at her.

For a second there's no reaction, and then her ice-blue eyes flutter open. She has the nerve to smile at me after the stunt that she pulled.

"Gosh Leo, you weren't supposed to follow me this time." She says teasingly, even though I can see the anger in her eyes for not letting her end her life without ending mine, too.

She expects me to yell at her for the scare that she gave me, and I almost do, but then I do something that even surprises me.

I kiss her. At first, she doesn't respond, but then she's kissing me back. I don't know how much time passes. It could be either or eternity or a few seconds. I wish I could stay at this perfect point in time with her forever.

But as I kiss her, I realize with a start that if she ever dies, I will never be able to let her go.