chapter 3

Hailey's POV

You know that feeling you get when you feel like someone is burning holes in your back from staring at you? Well I'm feeling just that right now.

I know that someone is watching me, but I have no idea who, or maybe I just don't want to admit that I know exactly who it is.

I'm too scared to turn around and actually prove my theory correct, so I continue watching Mr. Banks writing a formula I already know (because I got bored and accidentally learned the next 2 sections) on the board.

I continue staring at the board for what feels like forever before I couldn't take this nagging feeling any longer than I already have.

I whipped my head back so fast that I think I may have pulled a muscle. When I finally met with the gaze that was formerly piercing through my back, I am not surprised to who these eyes belong to.

Of course they were River Blakely's eyes.

He was staring at me with such frustration and anger that I was soon overcome by confusion. I held his gaze for about 10 seconds before it became too much and I freaked out and turned around.

What was he doing? He has never even noticed me in school yet today he seems to be very aware of my presence.

When I turned back around Mr. Banks was looking straight at River and I, I guess hoping for some type of explanation as to why we were just angrily ogling each other. When neither of us said anything, Mr. Banks decided to chime in,

"Don't you think you've gotten enough female attention within the span of this morning, Mr. Blakely ?" Mr. Banks coyly asked.

My cheeks heated up with what he was suggesting but River looked perfectly calm and collected, at least calmer than he did when he was looking at me.

Before either of us got the chance to reply Mr. Banks added, "Quit staring at each other like the hormonal teenagers you are, and focus on staying out of detention. I'm in no mood for games today."

The whole class was silently staring between me and River, bewildered at what just happened and why River was even sparing me a glance. I, on the other hand did not look back at River, I couldn't afford to break my perfect record of zero detentions over some stupid stare down River was trying to initiate.

Five minutes later I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned around to come face to face with Elijah, an advanced sophomore who was taking this class.

I have never in my life heard him utter a word, so him tapping me right now has me slightly befuddled.

It soon became clear he didn't want to chat with me when he all but threw a piece of folded paper in my face and went back to paying attention.

The piece of paper read " for girl in white shirt"

I didn't know who could've given me this, and who would be writing me a note if they didn't know my name to begin with?

I opened the note to find surprisingly neat handwriting for what I assumed to be a boy.

The note said, "Damn, your face looks terrible."

I immediately knew who the note was from, without even having to think twice.

I looked back to find River staring at me intently, as if waiting for a response. If he thought I was going to waste my precious time in feeding his ego, and letting him think his insults bother me, he was wrong.

I looked at River with repulsion in my eyes and just scoffed loudly.

He seemed surprised by this action as if he thought I would bow down at his knees for even sending me a note.

As soon as I scoffed everyones attention was on River and I, sadly, Mr. Banks attention was also on us.

"That's it!" he yelled

"I don't want any mischief in my class, and clearly you two can't handle this, so go and walk yourselves to detention."

Clearly he wasn't having a very good day, and I was the one he decided to take it out on.

"But Mr. Ba—" I tried to explain

"No" he interrupted me

"I can ex—" i tried once again

"I said no" he interrupted me again, slightly more irritated.

"Just le—" one more time wont hurt, I thought

"ENOUGH! I said NO! Now get out of my classroom! Both of you!" He maliciously yelled at both River and I.

River nonchalantly picked up his books and started heading for the door, while I let out a couple of groans and sighs and then decided to walk to the doors.

As I was walking to detention I figured I would give River the silent treatment until he apologized, because after all, this is his fault.

He was walking about ten feet in front of me and I was practically jogging trying not to fall anymore behind than I already was.

As we walked into the detention room it was completely empty, aside from the teacher signing us in.

As soon as I took the farthest seat from River, I was expecting an apology anytime soon.

Ten minutes passed, and still no apology. I was starting to get aggravated.

"I'm going to go out for lunch. You two better not talk, walk, eat, or do anything other than sit there and breathe." The teacher watching us said.

She looked stuck up and like she hadn't gotten a good nights rest in years.

As soon as she walked out, the silence seemed to become awkward.

I couldn't help what I did next, I was just so fed up with River.

"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT! Have you seriously not apologized yet?!" I screamed straight at River who was looking at his hands.

Silence.

He didn't so much as flinch, or even regard the outbreak i just had.

For some reason this made me even more angry.

"HELLO?!" I yelled yet again, "I'm talking to you!" I exclaimed angrily.

With this he looked up.

"I'm well aware, I just don't care at all." he replied curtly and went back to playing with his fingers.

He was acting as if it was my fault that we were in here. This was the last place I wanted to be, especially with an egomaniac such as himself.

I don't know why, but the way he was playing with his fingers as if they were the most important thing in the world at the moment, was driving me crazy.

Before I could even process what I was doing I was out of my chair and stomping across the room straight to his desk.

I grabbed his hands roughly, and threw them beside his body, to get him to finally pay attention to me.

I knew I achieved my goal when River slowly lifted his head as if trying to stop himself from unleashing his inner wrath on me. At that moment I wished he would do it, at least I would know he feels something other than indifference to everything around him.

He met my eyes with such fury, that I was almost scared, but then I remembered that's exactly what he wants.

He wants me to be afraid of him and not be able to confront him, so I'll do the exact opposite.

******

Sorry this took me so long to update!! And sorry that this is a short chapter! I've had so many exams this week and I'm struggling. Anyways, enjoy!

VOOOOTTEEEEE PLEASEEE!