chapter 12

Hailey's POV

I took the quickest shower of my life because I wanted to finish before River did.

Luckily, when I got out of the shower and ran to my room to get the clothes I had forgotten, the shower was still running.

I grabbed my clothes and quickly changed.

I was sitting on my bed, looking through the homework I had to do, when the shower finally stopped.

No longer than 10 seconds later, River stepped through the door, dripping wet with only a towel hung low on his hips.

His body was unreal. It should be illegal to have abs like that. But what I saw next was even more shocking.

I only noticed his abs for a millisecond before I realized what was laid on top of them.

River had small scars all over his body. They weren't very noticeable from afar because they have healed, but you could tell they were there.

They look like cuts that never healed properly.

River noticed I was on the bed now and he immediately stiffened. He put his arms across his body, I'm guessing to try and conceal his scars, but there was no way he could cover all of them with just his arms.

My eyes lingered on his body for a few more seconds before I met his eyes. He looked pained and scared.

I wanted to get up and just hug him even though I didn't know what was wrong or what he had gone through. The thought of River, who I thought feared absolutely nothing, looking so scared and broken, frightened me.

I opened my mouth to say something, maybe comfort him, but nothing came out. I was speechless and I don't know why. I guess I never thought of River as an actual person until this very moment. I had a preconceived notion that River was an 'all powerful being' that nobody could ever hurt. I was wrong and I see that now with the look on his face. He is just a teenager, who can and does get hurt. I hate myself for ever thinking about River like that.

Before I could say anything, River walked back into the bathroom.

He took awhile in there when all he needed to do was change. I think he was collecting himself after what had just happened. I don't think he wanted me to notice his scars. I wondered if anybody else has seen his scars. I mean he's slept with multiple girls, they had to have seen them too. Right?

My thoughts were interrupted by the bathroom door opening once again.

River emerged from the bathroom, this time wearing my dads clothes that were a little too big on him.

"Hey" He said slightly smiling at me.

I could tell he was definitely better than he was a couple of minutes before, but he still looked kind of hesitant. I think he was afraid I would ask him about the scars. As much as I did want to ask him, I could tell he wasn't ready to open up to me. I don't blame him, we barely know each other. I decided I wouldn't mention them, not yet anyway.

"Hey!" I said sounding chipper.

My jovial attitude gave him some reassurance that I wasn't going to ask him anything tonight.

He shot me a thankful smile and I smiled back at him. He's always so different when it's just the two of us, I liked it. I felt like I was the only one who saw this side of River. The playful, sometimes sweet side, who could make you laugh.

River sat on my bed and threw my favorite stuffed animal (well not animal) to the ground to make space for himself.

"HEY!" I shouted at River