Chapter 25

Hailey's POV

River and I lazed around the house for hours. I eventually convinced him to get properly dressed. As much as I was enjoying my view, I would've been mortified if Stacy walked in.

Luckily she hasn't gotten home yet. Even though I love her as a person, I'm enjoying this time with River alone.

I knew it was time to start going home when the sun was almost completely set.

"I have to go" I said

River tightened his arms around me on the couch and groaned "no."

I laughed and tried to pull away from him

"Yes River. I missed school today and I have no idea if I have homework."

He dramatically sighed and said "fine let's go."

"I can walk" I offered.

He looked at me offended and just stood up and offered me his hand to help me stand up.

I took it and we headed to his car.

The car ride was silent, but comfortable.

I almost jumped when I felt River move his hand across the console to grab mine.

He's being very sweet today and it's throwing me off. Not that's he's being sweet but how quickly we got to this point. I don't understand what happened or even what's happening really.

We pulled up to my house shortly after and I turned to him to thank him for the ride.

"No problem hails. Thank you for coming over this morning."

I could've sworn I saw his cheeks redden a no little bit.

I just smiled at him and went to turn from him to get out of the car. Before I could get far he pulled me arm and kissed me again.

He pulled away and said, "bye."

"Bye" I smiled.

I got out of the car and rushed inside. Once I had the front door open I turned around and waved at River again. He waved back and then began to drive away.

Once I showered and got changed, I decided to call Jess to see if I had missed any homework I had to do. Thankfully, I didn't.

I pulled out a book and tried to do some reading but I was too distracted.

Whats going on between me and River? I know Jess always asks me this same exact question, but I don't even know how to answer it myself.

I mean, he acts like we're dating but I know he doesn't really do the dating thing. But how come he's acting like this? Are we just friends who kiss sometimes?

We've been acting like a couple, I know. He picks me up, drives me to school, he often ends up staying at my house forever, he's slept over more than once, and I've slept at his house.

This isn't how he's acted with his previous girl "friends" is it?

I just wish I knew what River was thinking about this whole thing. That would make everything so much easier.

With that final thought, I gave up on reading, turned off my lights, and went to sleep.

******

My alarm blares through my room early, too early.

I got up and quickly brushed my teeth and my hair, washed my face, and applied a small amount of makeup.

Since I was still pretty early I went downstairs and had some eggs and toast.