Chapter 7

Hailey's POV

River was still looking at me with a furious glint in his eyes.

Ms. Balkins announced to us that she was going to go eat and to behave while she was gone. As soon as she left the room I spoke.

"What's wrong with you?" I said getting straight to the point.

"Nothing" he mumbled, turning away from my eyes

I don't know why he didn't just tell me what was wrong. I also didn't know why I cared, I'm just being nosy I suppose. I'm usually never nosy, but for some reason when it comes to River I want to know everything.

"Tell me." I demanded

"No" he answered quickly

I sighed and put my head down, deciding to give up for now. Five minutes later I picked my head back up to find Rivers face resting in his palms.

"What's wrong?" I asked, deciding to try again.

"Are you serious?" He shot back

"Yes" I replied.

"Nothing" He answered again.

I groaned and just glared at him as he glared back. After a few seconds of silence he finally said,

"What's going on between you and Lucas? Are you guys a thing or something?" He viciously said.

Why was he asking me this? Did Lucas say something?

"What?" I answered, acting oblivious.

"I saw you guys all over each other in the parking lot this morning. What was that?" He asked me again, with spite in his voice.

He is so annoying. Why does he just automatically assume we're a thing because we were laughing. Normal people laugh. Not everyone is like River who has never laughed a day in his life.

"Why do you even care?" I asked him

"Um.... I don't." He replied, looking away from me.

"Ok?" I answered, quite confused. Now that he's interviewed me, it's my turn.

"So, what's up with you and Heidi? Are you guys a thing?" I asked him smirking. I knew he wouldn't like this question because of the fact he didn't stay with one girl longer than 2 days.

"No. We're not." He curtly replied.

"Oh really because you guys were all over each other in the parking lot. Oh, or is that just your slut of the week? You know considering yourself the man whore you are." I asked him, and as soon I said the words I instantly regretted it. It came out much harsher than I'd ever intended. I never even meant to say something like that, I just got so riled up in the moment and it slipped out.

He looked up at me with disappointment in his eyes and then shouted, "you know nothing about me, so don't just assume things!"

I knew he was right. I did know absolutely nothing about him and that wasn't right of me to say.

After he shouted at me, I felt extremely guilty because he was obviously hurt by what I'd said, so I just put my head down for the remainder of detention.

When detention was over, I gathered my things and started walking to the parking lot. I figured I would just relieve River of his chauffeur duties for today since he was clearly upset with me, so I started to walk the opposite direction of his car. As I sauntered to the exit of the parking lot I heard River shout, "Hailey!"

I turned around to see him bewildered at my actions.

"Yea?" I calmly replied.

"What are you doing?" He curiously asked