XI

tw; suicide attempthappy 1K!

tw; suicide attempt
happy 1K!

it had been a sort of new tradition for HWANG HYUNJIN, since he always got to school early, to wait for his new friend outside the school gates so they could walk inside together.

the taller of the two didn't know why he was so disappointed when his human friend didn't show up by the time the bell rung. he knew he'd pissed him off. and yet, he'd thought that everything would go back to normal as soon as they saw each other. sighing, he headed into the school building.

he hated maths. he hated the subject with a passion. so he did what he usually did; he skipped class. pushing open the fire escape door that said 'no students permitted except in case of an emergency', he ran up the stairs two at a time and breathed in the fresh air from the roof of the building. the roof was his spot, and nobody was ever up there. and that was why he was surprised for the second time today.

'hello?' he called out. the boy standing on the edge of the roof didn't turn around. 'hey, get down from there! you could hurt yourself.'

and they stepped off the roof.

[ ➳ ]

he just wanted it to end. the stares, the teasing, the beatings. he hated it.

the final push that sent him tumbling was a shove in the hallways, and a viciously spat message: 'nobody wants you here. just kill yourself already.'

he would always try not to listen. try to block it out. but he'd reached the end. he couldn't do it anymore.

and that was how LEE FELIX found himself standing on the edge of the rooftop, looking down at the road below. three stories were enough to snap his neck, to crush his bones, to make him into a bleeding mess on the asphalt.

people like his mother and father and sisters might say they love him and would miss him, but would they really? they said that they would, but then they did those things and he knew they didn't really mean it. they'd get over it eventually. and maybe this would make his tormentors stop. he knew they bullied other people too. just maybe-

'hello?'

felix froze. the voice was familiar, but he didn't know where he'd heard it before. was it a boy in his class, maybe? a teacher?

'hey, get down from there! you could hurt yourself.'

he closed his eyes tight and stepped off the roof. air rushed past him, and his stomach felt like it was lurching out of his body. he flailed like he was trying to grab a bar of soap in a bath. some of his flowers dropped out of his hair, and he tried to grab them, only to have them disintegrate in his grip. he was going to die, he was going to die, and it wasn't what he wanted after all because there was so much he hadn't done-

but somehow, a pair of long, gangly arms wrapped around his waist, and the speed he was moving decreased. forcing his eyes open, he looked over his shoulder.

and there was hwang hyunjin, wings of a demon spread wide in the sky, brows furrowed in concern. they touched back down onto the roof, but he didn't fold his wings back up. instead, he just held onto felix's shoulders, and they looked at each other for a long second before the dryad burst into tears.

immediately hyunjin pulled him in for a hug. he hadn't been thinking clearly, and he had stopped him from... killing himself. he had been about to do that. end it. the boy was shaking, his head buried in hyunjin's shoulder while hyunjin rested his chin on top of his head. his wings folded around them, sealing them in a cocoon of feathery darkness.

the tears wouldn't stop, but neither of them minded. they just stood there with their arms around each other until all that was left was a little sniffle every once in a while. when hyunjin's arms and wings left from around him, he almost let out a whine in protest. that was one of the best hugs he'd ever received.

'you're amazing. people might not think that, but you are. please don't ever think that you don't deserve things or that people don't care about you because people do,' hyunjin said, wings flopping behind him on the ground in order to steal some sunlight from the pavement to warm them up.

felix knew he probably shouldn't have been staring at him as much as he was, but he didn't care. with his hair messy and swept back because of the wind, and his face flushed from the cold, he looked perfect. he was so kind for sitting with him. maybe another person would have saved him and left, but he'd stayed with him, comforting him, for goodness knows how long. the memory of soft hands playing with his hair and rubbing soothing circles into his back made him cast his gaze towards the ground, color rising to his cheeks as new flowers bloomed in his hair.

'are your parents home?'

he shook his head.

'let's go back to my place then. i mean, if you want to.' he started to ramble. 'i mean, you don't know me at all, but my mum's really nice, and she'll totally understand what you're going through and she can help, 'cause she's a therapist, and i just don't think it would be good for you to go back to class now.'

the smallest of smiles graced felix's lips. he nodded. seeing that, hyunjin grinned. checking the time on his phone, he glanced at the fire escape door. 'it's the break between classes now, so if we go down there people are going to see and ask questions. we could wait, but that's boring.' he smirked, and looked towards the edge of the roof instead. 'so how about we fly?'

a minute later, felix was clinging onto the hybrid for dear life, legs wrapped around his waist and arms around his neck like a koala. he shrieked whenever they got close to any buildings, but hyunjin just chuckled.

when they touched down, neither of them moved to get away from each other instantly. only when they realized the moment was dragging out for a few more seconds than they'd intended did felix untangle himself from hyunjin. an awkward silence enveloped the two as they walked up to hyunjin's front door and knocked.

a couple of seconds later, there was a roar from within. 'hwang hyunjin, if that's you at that door, i'm going to make sure you never see the light of day again!'

both boys gulped.