XXI

➳ i'm ok

➳ don't comfort me

every day they avoided each other.

every day it hurt more.

when SEO CHANGBIN walked into the classes he shared with his (now ex) boyfriend, he took the seat furthest away from him.

when HWANG HYUNJIN walked into the cafeteria, he sat alone, or with LEE FELIX, if the boy wasn't sitting with his other best friend. the dryad blamed himself for the rift between the two, though both changbin and hyunjin repeated again and again that it wasn't his fault.

it was day five of the feud, and felix was fed up. he'd had enough of not being able to be with both of his friends at the same time. he'd had enough of hearing whispers about their deal involving him (that he didn't consent to, by the way, and was quite pissed off about). he'd had enough of hearing them trash-talk each other just to mask their pain. the five days, for felix, had been filled with exhausting days and sleepless nights. five days had been enough for him to search his feelings and decide what the two really meant to him.

and indeed, he'd made a decision.

hyunjin was ecstatic when felix asked him to meet him at a nearby cafe. he didn't care if it was just a friendly get-together where they did friend things - he still counted it as a date.

changbin was nervous when felix asked him to meet him at a nearby cafe. he'd been told it was just them, and he was scared to mess something up. what would he wear? what would they talk about?

the two had just one similar thought - at least they wouldn't have to think about each other when they were with felix.

[ ➳ ]

the cafe was quiet and cozy. smells of coffee and freshly baked bread wafted over from the kitchen, and idle chatter blended into a comforting hum around lee felix. since he came to tancheon, it had been his favourite place. he went there to think, to study, to eat, to talk. and now, he went there to mend what he'd ruined.

the doorbell chimed. a tall figure with large black wings walked inside, before he tripped over his feet clumsily. felix giggled as the hybrid made his way over to his table, a sheepish smile on his face.

'hey.'

'hi.'

felix was suddenly struck by how handsome hyunjin looked. he was wearing a cute beige turtleneck and a pair of glasses (he didn't think they were prescription, but he'd have to ask). the things he'd let him do to him- actually, that wasn't the best thought to have in a public place. jesus, he needed holy water.

the two talked for a bit before the bell chimed again. this time a shorter male walked inside, wearing all black like usual. he looked around for a minute before he spotted felix. his eyes narrowed when he saw the boy's companion.

hyunjin's smile disappeared immediately when he saw his ex-boyfriend walking to their table. 'felix?' he whispered through gritted teeth. 'why is he here?' felix gulped when changbin sat down at their booth (in the spot farthest away from his ex-boyfriend).

'before you both kill me, i- i can explain.'

'you'd better explain quickly,' hyunjin snarled. changbin shot him a glare.

felix just sighed. 'i know about your stupid deal. and i- i'd love to be- be with one of you. i like you both. i really d- i really- really do. but please, just forget about me.' his eyes shone. 'i want you two to be happy.' he laughed hollowly. 'that was k-kinda cheesy, but whatever.'

the hybrid sitting across from felix reached out across the table to grab changbin's hand. surprisingly, the other didn't pull away. the redhead felt his heart break a little bit, but he knew it was for the best. they were happy before he came along an-

hyunjin's other hand fitted into felix's small one, interlocking their fingers. the dryad's eyes were wide. first, the hybrid leaned across the table to press his lips to changbin's forehead in a soft kiss. the latter froze.

the hand-holding must have been a false alarm. he must just have done it to comfort felix, because that kiss was-

and then hyunjin pecked felix on the cheek, and felix lost his shit. on his head, a wattle crown grew, and his ears blushed because he couldn't control it. watching hyunjin stare at him and changbin with that look in his eyes and that cute, subtle smile on his lips was too much for the emotional wreck, so he covered his blushing face with his hands.

'lix? are you okay?' the tallest asked.

his voice was muffled by his (tiny) hands. 'why did you kiss both of us?'

'well, i- i just thought that we shouldn't have to choose someone when we all like each other, so maybe we could all, like, date?'

'isn't that kind of wrong?' changbin asked.

'polyamory?' hyunjin rolled his eyes. 'come on, bin, it's 2019! people are getting more progressive. and if anyone gives us shit for it, we'll give them hell. so, what do you say? do you two want to be my boyfriends?'