Chapter 5 Protection Plan

"What? Goldie, you aren't making any sense." No this can't be true. What was meant to be a simple journey into your mind, which he's done before with out causing any harm, had taken a turn for the worse. Goldie was shaking against the floor, after he had fallen down into the tables and chairs that were scattered around enough as it were.

He refused to meet your gaze, taking his hands away from your own tugging at his bow tie. Loosening it partially sucking in deep breaths. What do you do? He looked as if he was in so much pain, but what happened?

You were at a loss for words. How should you respond? Your mind felt numb, your vision partially blurry as the room occasionally spun.

He couldn't have been the reason shade had found out about you being awake. You refused to believe it. Goldie always acted in your best interest, as well as the others. He may have a cold exterior and doubted himself at times, you knew he was good. So it was hard to believe his words.

"Goldie what's really wrong? Please tell me how to help you!" You gasped exasperated. You felt useless. Finally knowing what their world was like and you can't even help him.

Goldie shook his head as he gasped, making a noise as he touched his throat. He leaned back against the wall looking up towards the ceiling as he held his throat. What was going on with him?! His eyes rolled back in his head. He looked as though he was possessed.

"Ah..."Goldie clenched just jaw as he groaned.

"Goldie!" you shouted as your desperation grew. You leaned back looking up and down his body, as if somehow by looking you could find the source of his problem. But there was nothing out of the ordinary. You scooted closer to him grabbing his shoulders.
"Please! Talk to me! What do I do!"

Tears stung your eyes as you gripped his shoulders. Goldie at first shook his head before looking away coughing violently. You pulled back in shock, watching as he wretched until suddenly something black splatted against the grimy floor.

You stared in both confusion and disgust as the black sludge began to move taking shake of some sort of slug. What is that?

Goldie wiped his mouth, staring at the sludge with bitterness. You watched as he stood up, no longer shaking. He looked fine now. Was that thing causing him harm? What is it? You rose to your feet with him, watching now as he fixed his bow tie before stomping harshly against the creature. It screamed before exploding further leaving nothing but a black puddle in its explosion.

"Goldie," you whispered too afraid to raise your voice any higher, "what was that? What's going on?"

Goldie was quite, keeping his back to you as he stared down at the black liquid that resided on the floor. You called his name again, hoping he'd respond this time. Finally his shoulders slumped and his ears followed quickly after. He glanced at you from the corner of his eye as you approached his side. He looked as if he was guilt ridden.

"I've- I've betrayed you." Goldie hung his head low.

"Betrayed me?" You laughed in disbelief. But when Goldie didn't meet your gaze you frowned. He's serious.
"But how would you have done that?"

Goldie stared up at the wall, a far off look in his eyes. At first it was quite, neither of you said a word, but then finally goldie found his courage.

"I-" Goldie's hands balled into fists at his sides.
"I lied to you."

You leaned over his side, pressing him silently to reveal more of what he meant. How did he lie to you?

"I-I was never going to enter your mind just to investigate this dream of yours. I had ulterior motives." Goldie breathed out through his teeth. Eyes meeting your own from the corners once more.
"I wanted an audience with the puppet. I got what I wanted, but the cost was shade entering your mind."