... and the kidnapping

"Did you see the perpetrator?"

You shook your head.

The head palace guard tried to be sympathetic to your situation; he truly was trying, but he had to be clear-minded for his job. He needed facts as quickly as possible if he were to hunt down the man who took your daughter.

"Are you sure it was a man?" he asked hesitantly.

"Yeah, he had a muscular build, broad shoulders, pretty tall," you explained with a dull tone.

You were practically lifeless after the whole incident yesterday night. You watched your daughter be taken, leaving you distraught and shaken. The second Izumi was born, you swore to protect her with everything you had. Now, here you stood. A liar and a crappy mom-- ex-mom.

"Where's the Fire Lord?" you sighed.

"We haven't been able to reach him. When we do, we'll let you know," the Head Palace Guard answered diligently as he bowed deeply. "We'll leave you alone for the moment, but I promise we will retrieve the Fire Princess, my Queen."

You nodded and dismissed him with the flick of your hand.

How does someone deal with a kidnapping? You never had a personal story about one, seeing as how most people would rather kill you because of your title. You dealt with them easily, firebending them into submission. That was how you tackled situations likes these.

Your face hardened. "And that's' how I'm going to deal with it now."

>>>>

"Fire Lord Zuko!" an attendant exclaimed as they ran towards his side. They dropped to the floor, bowing down to him with desperate vigor.

He was apprehensive about his attendant's dramatic greeting and could only speculate that the letter in the man's hands was the culprit. "What is this?" he growled, snatching the scrap of paper.

"It must be serious if he's this panicked," Uncle Iroh commented as he watched his nephew read the message. "But like I was saying, you should start coming back to your wife, Zuko-"

He stopped mid-sentence when Zuko's whole demeanor switched. He stood from his seat, panic written all over his face. "WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?"

"Yesterday night, my Lord."

"Why wasn't I told sooner?!" he continued to yell.

"They couldn't pinpoint your location since you made a detour."

"Zuko, I'm sure this can all be resolved in a calm fashion," Uncle Iroh tried reasoning.

"I CAN'T BE CALM. NOT WHEN MY DAUGHTER AND WIFE ARE MISSING!"

"They were kidnapped?"

"My daughter was, and my idiot wife left to play hero," Zuko replied as he sunk down into his chair. He rubbed his temples as the realization hit him hard. He really is going to lose his only family, all because he was absorbed with trivial matters.

"Call Team Avatar," Zuko commanded after a few minutes of silence. "We're going to save them."