... and the addition

"So how do you want to proceed?"

Zuko tore his eyes away from today's newspaper, his feeble gaze landing on you. "With what?"

"Izumi is bringing a guy. Aren't you nervous? It's like the first time ever. I wonder what he's like. Oh my, do you think she's pregnant and is settling with an awful man? Do you--"

He couldn't endure more of your rambling and stuffed a puffed pastry in your mouth. "This is why we don't get to meet any of her boyfriends." You sent him a pointed glare, and he could already tell what you were thinking. "No, I don't know of any previous boyfriends. Stop being so suspicious."

You chomped on the pastry until you consumed every crumb. "I wish she went with Bumi. He's her exact opposite, and it would have been fun being related to the Avatar."

"... You already brought that up to Aang, and there wasn't much he could do," Zuko sighed tiredly. "Bumi and Izumi just cannot see past their platonic relationship as childhood friends. Let it be."

"What about their younger one? Tentacles is his name?" you thought out loud as you stroked your chin.

"His name is Tenzin. Jeez, if you're going to try and play matchmaker, you should at least know the man's name." Zuko placed another pastry in your mouth before you could retort. "And I believe he's with Lin."

He could vaguely hear the loud screech, which was muffled by the innocent pastry. However, you made sure to demolish your food before replying. "TOPH'S DAUGHTER? IZUMI'S SOUL SISTER?"

"Soul sister?"

"Yeah, since they're so alike."

Zuko chuckled as he idly drank his tea. "Ah, that reminds me. Should we call for Fudo? I believe he's going to work at the tea shop this week but we need him here for the family meeting."

"Fudo, master of all teas," you wistfully said as you stared out the window longingly. "Why couldn't you be an army general?"

You sensed an incoming pastry and covered your mouth with your hands. Zuko growled and retracted his hand, "Can't you just drop it already? Our son is a calm man who prefers tea rather than bloodshed."

"But I want to hear war stories," you whined.

"There are no wars!"

"Mother, father?" Izumi called out from afar, interrupting your morning banter.

You glanced over your shoulder to see Izumi enter with a man trailing behind her. Narrowing your eyes, you inspected him thoroughly to get a good sense of the man. He was only inches taller than her and wore a genuinely kind smile. He didn't seem like a stern person as shown by his laidback posture, but he straightened up once you stood to greet them.

"It is so nice to see you both again," he bowed his head low enough so that you could see his properly groomed hair. 

"I believe we've never met," you laughed-- though you were the only one laughing as everyone gaped at you.

"Excuse me but," he nervously spoke up, "I... I'm in this palace on a daily basis. I attend all peacekeeping meetings and town hall meetings. We stop to chat sometimes in the market square."

You still couldn't recall his face which made you wary. "... Are you stalking me? You do know I'm a married woman."

Both Izumi and Zuko groaned with frustration, and it was Izumi who tried to clear the misunderstanding. "It's because he's an army general. He visits the palace frequently for his duties."

Your expression brightened, a large grin making its way onto your features. "You're hired! You can be Izumi's husband!"

"You can't hire a spouse!" Izumi cried out.

"Sure you can," you laughed. "Your father hired me to be his."

"That's not even... That's... There's more to that story," Zuko tried defending himself but ultimately failed. 

You ignored Zuko grumbling and returned to the man before you. "Welcome to the family!"

.... Yes, welcome to this unique family.