in your dreams, lover boy

The next day, I woke up for the first time before noon. I sat up in my bed and instead of dreading the day, I was excited for it. 

I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to get ready. I brushed my teeth and washed my face, making sure I looked presentable. I put on a bathing suit under a pink sundress with some sandals. Then, I grabbed a towel and a book before leaving my room. 

I went downstairs to the kitchen and grabbed a granola bar and water before heading outside. I went to the beach and laid my stuff down in the sand. I took off my sundress and laid down on my towel with my book. 

I was on the third chapter when I felt a sudden wave of coldness on my body. I looked up and saw a figure standing in front of me.

"Hey Lainey, busy buried in your book?" Dean asked.

"Well it is a good book," I said with a smile before sitting up so that I could face him. "How long have you been standing there checking me out?"

"Not too long, how can you expect me not to when you look like that?" He joked.

"There's this thing called self control, you should really try using it," I said, chuckling. 

"I am, which is why I was just coming to say hi before going for a run." He explained. "If I stay here for too long, I won't be able to leave." 

"Well at least you're honest," I said. 

"I'll see you later Lainey, we should hangout again," he said.

"Same time, same place?" I asked. 

"Definitely," he said before taking off for a jog down the beach. 

I decided to go for a swim  and get some exercise so I left my stuff and walked slowly towards the edge of the water. I sat down in the area that was only a few inches deep and just relaxed there. 

Ever since last night, I had been feeling a lot better about everything. I think Dean's presence has helped because it's been a great distraction. For once, I'm happy to be outside and doing things because I want to and not because I need the distraction. 

Soon, hours passed and I was feeling excited to see Dean. I loved the fact that he didn't know my history or what I was going through because he was looking at me like I was just me. He didn't see me as this broken, depressed girl with issues, and I loved that. 

I made the decision right then and there that I was done being that girl. It wasn't the person I wanted to be. I liked the way that Dean saw me, it was the way that I used to see myself before Tyler and I ever got together. I wanted to be that girl again, and the first step was to let go of the past and be happy for once. 

Hours had passed and by the time I went into the house to shower, it was past 6 o'clock. I took my things inside and went up to my room to take a shower. I rinsed off my body and washed my hair before stepping out to dry off. I combed through my hair and put it into a high pony tail to dry while I got dressed. I put on a comfy, tie-dyed blue romper with my black sandals before heading down the stairs for dinner. 

I rushed to eat so that I could go out and see Dean but before I could leave, my brother stopped me. 

"Where are you off to?" Noah asked. "I haven't seen you all day."

"I'm just off on a walk down the beach. It's been good to get outside and clear my head," I said before opening the door to go outside. Noah followed as I stepped out onto the porch and the door closed behind him.

"Would this have anything to do with the guy you were hanging out with on the beach today?" He questioned, looking at me intently for a physical response. 

"First of all, how would you even know that?" I questioned. "I went to the beach by myself, and he happened to show up."

"Well who is he?" 

"He's the guy who just moved in next-door with his family. His name is Dean and he's actually nice," I responded. 

"Lana, you know I love you and I want you to know that I say this out of love, but please do not rush into anything," Noah advised. I looked at him and my jaw nearly dropped. Did he think that I was into this guy?

"Noah," I said before grabbing his arm and giving it a light squeeze. "I know you mean well, but I want you to know that there's nothing going on with that guy. He's just a friend and right now, I need that." 

"Oh," Noah said. "Well why didn't you tell me?"

"We just met last night," I explained. "I wasn't going out of my way to see him again, but it just happened on its own. I realized that spending time with him has actually been good for me, it's a good distraction." 

"I understand, I'm just being an overprotective brother right now," Noah said with a chuckle. 

"I know, but you have to trust me, Noah," I said. "I'm still grieving in my own way, and it's a process. It doesn't happen over night but a little help goes a long way." I looked out towards the beach and noticed a guy sitting in the sand. "I really need to go Noah, but if you really want to continue this, we can always talk about it tomorrow." 

"Okay, I'll see you later," he said before going back into the house. 

I walked down the path and stepped onto the beach. I made my way over to where Dean was sitting and approached him. 

"Did you miss me?" I asked with a smile. 

"Of course," Dean said. "How could I ever live without you. I spend my days longing for your presence." 

"Ok, slow down Romeo, I'm only joking," I laughed. 

"One of these days, you'll fall for this Romeo," Dean said with a flashy smile. 

"In your dreams, lover boy."