back to reality

The rest of the summer flew by and soon, it was August 25th, the day before we were leaving to come back home. 

I was sad to leave Dean because we had such an amazing summer together. I didn't want it to be over. I didn't want to go back home and deal with the problems I left behind when the summer began. 

That night, I met Dean at the beach for the last time that summer. I got there first so I sat in the sand and stared up at the stars for a while. Out here, the sky was full of stars, all bright and beautiful despite all being separated. It gave me some hope for the future. I knew that it would be hard to leave Dean and be on my own because I was the happiest I had ever been when we hung out, but I knew that it would be okay. 

"Hey, what are you thinking about?" Dean asked as he came and sat down next to me. 

"What comes next," I responded, not looking into his eyes. "I don't want to leave, I don't want the summer to end."

"Honestly, neither do I," he said before laying down in the sand. "This summer exceeded all my expectations and I couldn't be more thankful."

"I'm nervous to go back," I admitted. "I don't want to face everyone."

"I know I won't be there to help you but I'm always a call away. You're not alone, Lainey," he said, which made me smile. 

"You know, I've heart that phrase so many times since the breakup and I never actually believed it until now. I have a feeling that this year will be different. I'm not the same person I was when I arrived this summer and I hope that the school year reflects that," I said. I turned to face Dean and I don't know what got into me but I leaned over and gave him a really big hug. He hugged me back and we stayed like that for a while before separating.

"Lainey, what was that for?" He questioned.

"I just wanted to thank you, for everything." I said. "I would have never made it through this without you and I'm so glad that we met."

Dean smiled and I swear my heart stopped when he responded. "I wouldn't have survived the move if I hadn't met you. You helped me more than you'll ever know and I'm grateful to have you in my life."

I grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze, and we laid like that on the beach for the rest of the night.

When the sun came up, we hugged goodbye before parting ways. I was sad to leave him but overall, I felt so strong and happy inside. I never thought that I would survived the break-up until he came along. I feel like a new person and I feel different from the sad, depressed girl that I was when I arrived in June. 

I walked back to the house and grabbed my things from upstairs before loading up the car. When everyone was ready, we pulled out of the garage and headed home. 

When we pulled onto my street at home, I started to get nervous. I knew that I was strong but was I strong enough to handle going back to school and face everyone? 

When my dad drove down our long driveway and into the garage, we got out and unloaded the car. I grabbed my things and went up to my room. 

I walked in and I felt nostalgic. I saw the queen-sized upholstered bed with my light purple comforter and pillows neatly arranged on my bed. On both sides of my bed, I had two white nightstands filled with tissues and books. I gazed over by the window where I had a comfy chair that was currently filled with sweatshirts and dresses that belonged in my closet. Across from my bed, my dresser had all of jewelry that Tyler had given me, along with some candles and the TV remote for the TV located above my dresser. Everything seemed to be exactly as I left it, but it didn't feel like home as much as it felt like a reminder of everything I had been through. I decided that if I wanted to be happy and grow, I needed to keep up with the changes, so I decided to clean my room.

I took out every photo of Tyler and I, putting them all in a shoe box that I would stuff in my closet. I put the necklaces he gave me in that box, along with the sweatshirt of his that I still had. I wanted every reminder of him gone and out of sight, and I thought this would be the easiest way to do that. 

I reorganized my drawers and cleaned the top of the dresser before heading into the bathroom to clean my vanity. I organized the makeup in the drawers and cleaned the mirror and countertop. Then, I 

I gazed over to where my free-standing floor-length mirror was located and I froze. I walked over and stood in front of the mirror to look at myself. I looked different, tanner, blonder, and thinner. I guess the exercise and being outside all day had really made an impact. I think I also felt different because I actually felt good for once. I knew school was going to be a nightmare but for now, I felt okay. 

I stepped away from my mirror to unpack my bags when my phone buzzed. I walked over to pick it up and noticed a text from Elle. 

Elle: Hey Lana, want to hit up the mall and catch up?

Me: Hey Elle, sure! Meet me there in 20?

Elle: See you then!

I finished unpacking my bags and grabbed my purse. I put my keys, wallet, and sunglasses into my purse before heading out the door. I got into my car and drove to the local mall, which was only about a 10 minute drive to the town over. 

When I arrived, I found a space near the entrance and headed inside. I walked over to the food court and sat down at our usual table. I was only there a few minutes when I heard Elle's voice.

"Lana!" Elle exclaimed as she ran over to give me a hug. I stood up and turned around to hug my best friend. When we parted, I smiled.

"I missed you, Elle," I said. 

"I missed you too, Lana," she said. "Let's grab some coffee and catch up."

We walked over to the nearest Starbucks and each got iced caramel lattes. We walked out and back to our table before sitting down. 

"So," Elle said. "Tell me everything! You look so much better than you did when you left."

"Well, a lot has happened since we last saw each other," I said with a smile. 

I started from the moment I arrived at the beach house and ended with the events of last night. I told her about Dean and the amazing time we had together. When I was finished, Elle was smiling so much, I thought her face was going to freeze like that.

"What's with you?" I questioned, chuckling. 

"Oh my god, Alana Marie Manning, tell me you at least kissed this guy!" Elle exclaimed. 

"Elle! I've sworn off guys and relationships, you know that. I have no intentions of finding a new guy after what happened with Tyler, I can't trust them. Dean and I were just friends, nothing more," I explained.

"Lana, that guy was totally into you and you're telling me you didn't go further than friendship? Who are you and what have you done with my best friend?" She asked, causing me to laugh.

"I needed to work on myself and I did. I feel so much better and meeting him really helped," I explained. "This was definitely an unforgettable summer."

"Well, are you planning to see him ever again?" Elle asked.

"I hope so, we promised to keep in touch but I haven't heard from him yet," I said.

"Well, in the mean time, let's go shopping for some retail therapy. But, I would keep an open mind about boys, including Dean. You never know what the year will bring," Elle advised.

"I know, I'm just not ready yet," I said as we stood up and started to walk around the mall. 

I walked away from the conversation feeling uneasy, I had a weird feeling about senior year but I couldn't figure out why.