confrontation

Dean's POV

"Rachel, why are you here?" I asked, taking another sip of my drink. "I don't want you here."

"Come on, babe. Why are you so stubborn?" Rachel asked, taking a sip of my drink. She was definitely drunk. I was starting to feel it but I needed another drink. 

I reached over and took a huge sip of the vodka bottle near me before placing it down. 

"Look, we both know that you don't actually care about me," I said harshly, the vodka starting to hit me. 

"Aw, come on. You know that isn't true," she said in a seductive tone. She leaned closer, placing her arm on my bicep playfully.

"I know it's true," I said, standing my ground.

She leaned closer until our faces were inches apart. "If I didn't care about you, then why would I do this?" She asked, leaning forward to press her lips against mine. 

I tried to push her off of me but she wrapped her arms around my neck, locking me in place. I kept pushing when I heard a loud slam. I moved my eyes to the side, noticing Lainey there. She was staring at us, her jaw dropped and she looked hurt. Before I could blink, she was gone, stumbling out of the room. I had to find her.

I shoved Rachel off of me as hard as I could, and she looked upset. 

"What the hell was that?" I yelled, angry at what she had just done. 

"Don't act like you didn't enjoy it," Rachel said with a smirk. I scoffed before storming out of the room to try to find Lainey.

I stumbled a little as I walked around the entire house. I checked the living room, dining room, bathroom, and outside, but she was nowhere to be found. I walked over to the foyer, thinking she might've left when I saw the stairs. 

I ran up the stairs into the quiet hallway. I didn't see her and I was about to give up when I heard soft sniffles. I walked down the hall and turned the corner, seeing Lainey. She was hunched over with her head in her hands. I crouched down in front of her and reached out, putting my hand on her shoulder softly.

"Lainey?" I asked. 

She looked up and there were tears in her eyes. When she realized it was me, her face changed into anger and she shoved me away from her. I fell backwards onto my butt. She tried to stand up but she clearly couldn't walk. She was stumbling as she tried to turn the corner. I quickly stood up and grabbed her waist, trying to steady her but she slapped my hands away.

"Don't touch me," she said harshly. 

"Talk to me, please," I begged, staring at her. She locked eyes with me and I could see the pain in her eyes. 

"There's no point anymore," she said, her tone filled with sorrow. 

Before I could blink, she was gone. 

I slowly went down the stairs, shocked. Why was she so upset? Why wouldn't she talk to me?

I shook my head, sitting on the stairs. I wanted to follow her but I knew I probably shouldn't. I wasn't the person she wanted to see right now. 

I put my head in my hands, feeling exhausted and sad. I sat there for a few minutes when I felt someone touch my shoulder. 

"Have you seen my sister?" Noah asked, looking nervous.

"What's wrong?" I asked, sitting up. 

"I can't find her, I'm worried," Noah said. "She's not in the right state of mind."

"If I see her, I'll tell you," I said, still feeling sad.

"Oh and when you find her, try not to screw things up this time. I don't want to see her get hurt again," Noah said before disappearing into the crowd.

Was she upset because of me? 

I needed to find her.

I stood up, looking around the house. When I couldn't find her anywhere, I knew she must've left. I walked back into the foyer and out the front door into the brisk fall night. 

I walked down the driveway quickly, worried that she could be in danger. When I got to the street, I looked each way, trying to find her. In the distance, I saw a girl walking alone. I knew it was her. 

I walked quickly but quietly, trying to catch up with her. When I was only a few feet behind her, I realized how run down she looked. She was stumbling as she walked, her head hanging low at the floor. She looked so upset.

"Alana," I said softly. "Why are you so upset?"

She stopped walking, pausing as if to think about what to say in response.

"You wouldn't understand," she said, shaking her head. 

"I saw you with Tyler the other day," I said. "Are you getting back together with him?"

She brought her hand up, running it through her hair as she shook her head. "You don't get it," she said. 

"What don't I get? Because it looks like you were getting real cozy with the guy you supposedly hate," I said harshly. 

"What about you? I saw you with that girl the other day, getting all cozy," she responded harshly. "One day, you're kissing me and the next, you're flirting with someone else."

I thought back, confused at first until I realized who she was referring to. I shook my head. 

"This is a misunderstanding. She's my ex," I said. "She came into town to visit colleges and she's been staying at my house."

"If that's true, then why were you flirting with her? I thought you hated her, unless that was a lie too," she said. 

"She came onto me and I pushed her away. If you were there, you would've heard me yelling at her," I explained. 

"But that doesn't explain why you were playing tonsil hockey with her in the kitchen earlier," she said.

I shook my head. "She kissed me but I was pushing her away because I don't have feelings for her. You left before I pushed her off of me," I explained.

"Oh," she said softly.

"So what about you and Tyler?" I asked harshly, feeling jealous.

"It's not what you think," she said softly. "He was trying to get back together with me but I refused. I told him I didn't have feelings for him anymore."

"Oh," I said softly. 

There was silence between us for a while, neither one knowing what to say next.

"Lainey?" I asked.

"Yeah?" She responded softly.

"Question game," I stated. I knew what I needed to ask her.

"Um, okay," she said hesitantly.

"Why did you react like that when you saw me with Rachel?" I asked. I needed to know why she was so upset. 

"Uh, I was, um, jealous," she said softly. "But honestly it's not what you think, or maybe it is, I don't know. I guess it means that I like you but you made it hard for me to like you with the whole Rachel situation and I understand if you don't like me back because obviously you have other girls to worry about and I know we're friends and you probably don't see me as any more than that but--"

She was rambling and I couldn't help but smile; she was too cute. Before she could continue rambling, I pulled her in and kissed her. 

This time, I didn't hold back.