pillow talks

I said goodnight to Noah before heading back up to my room. 

I closed the door behind me and got into my bed. I tried falling asleep but I kept tossing and turning. After about an hour of rolling around in my bed, I gave up on sleep. I reached over for my phone and sent a text. 

Me: Hey, are you awake?

I waited around for a few minutes, nervous that he'd be asleep. I was about to give up and try sleeping again when my phone buzzed. 

Dean: Of course, but why are you awake is the real question.

I went over to the phone app in my iPhone and pressed Dean's number. I put it up to my ear and waited until I heard his voice. 

"Hey," Dean said over the phone. "What's wrong?"

"Why do you think something's wrong?" I questioned as I sat up in my bed. 

"You're not asleep, which means something's on your mind," Dean said. I couldn't believe he knew me well enough to know that. Most people didn't even know that. 

"I've been dealing with a lot," I admitted.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Dean asked. Normally I would have said no but I knew I needed to get it out. I needed to talk to someone about it. 

"Yes," I said softly. 

"I'll be there in 10. Bring a jacket," Dean said before hanging up the phone. What were we going to do?

I turned off my phone and changed out of my party outfit into jogger sweatpants and a sweatshirt. I put my hair up into a ponytail and slid on my UGG moccasins before grabbing the keys that were on my nightstand. 

By the time Dean had arrived, it was close to 3am. I knew Elle or Noah would be looking for me if I didn't come back soon so I wrote a note and left it on my nightstand. I quietly opened my bedroom door and closed it behind me before walking down the stairs slowly to avoid making noise. When I got to the front door, I quietly opened it and quickly closed it behind me before stepping out into the brisk fall weather. It was probably about 65 degrees out because it was still September, so I wasn't really cold. I walked down the steps to Dean's car and opened the passenger side door before sliding in, closing it fast behind me. 

"Hey," Dean said as he pulled out of my driveway and onto the main road. I gave him a small smile in return. 

We drove in silence for a while and for a moment, I wondered where he was taking me until I recognized the thin, isolated road that he turned onto. When I saw the parking lot, I knew where he was taking me. 

Dean pulled into the parking lot at the beach and put the car in park. He reached behind him to the back seat, where two blankets were located. He grabbed them and opened the car door, getting out. I got out of the car and closed the door behind me, walking around the car to his side. He handed me a blanket and I smiled, grateful for him. We walked side-by-side out of the parking lot and onto the pavement, where the bench was. We sat down and each wrapped ourselves in the blankets, staring out into the ocean. The sound of the waves was relaxing. 

"Lainey?" Dean asked. 

"Yeah?" I responded softly.

"If you don't mind me asking, who was that guy at the party tonight?" He asked, looking over to see my face. 

I looked down at my hands. "He's my ex, Tyler Stone."

"What happened between you two?" Dean asked. Normally I would have shut down by now but for some reason, I felt comfortable letting it out.