accidentally on purpose

Alana's POV

At lunch the next day, everyone was sitting together and laughing, but Dean was unusually quiet. Was everything okay?

"So, how was your date with Emma?" Elle asked and I froze, looking down at my food. I really didn't want to hear about this. 

"Oh... um, we ended things," Dean said and my eyes went wide. Elle's jaw dropped.

"What? Why? I thought things were going well," Elle said. 

"We just, um, didn't have as much in common as I thought," Dean said. I knew he was lying, he cares more about someone's personality than their common interests. Why was he lying?

"Oh, ok," Elle said, taking a bite of her food. 

"Yeah..." Dean said and the table got quiet. 

"So, in other news, who's going to the game on Friday?" Mason asked.

"We are, obviously," Elle said, nudging me to participate in the conversation. I looked up from my food.

"Oh, um, yeah, we're going," I said.

"Ok, cool. This game's going to be a good one," Mason commented and I nodded, knowing that we were playing a tough team. 

"Oh, shoot! Lana I totally forgot, I have a group project today after school so I can't drive you home," Elle said and I groaned. 

"I could drive you home if you need a ride," Dean said. I turned to him. This was the first time he had spoken to me in a while and it caught me off guard. 

"Oh, sure, that'd be great," I said, turning back to my food. 

The rest of the period flew by, with mainly Elle and Mason talking. Dean was quiet and I assumed it had something to do with Emma. Was he hung up on her?

***

At the end of the day, I walked out of my ninth period class and went down the hall to my locker. I took my books out and switched them before closing my locker. I walked down the hall and out of the main entrance to the parking lot. I spotted Dean in the distance, looking down at his phone. I started walking over, keeping my eyes on him. I thought he could feel my eyes on him because he looked up, catching me off guard. I quickly looked over to the rows of cars, pretending like I was making sure a car wasn't coming before walking. 

When I got to his car, he gave me a soft smile and unlocked the doors, sliding into the driver's seat. I got into the passenger seat and closed the door behind me. 

I made small talk on the ride home, but it felt different. Something was up with him and I couldn't figure out what it was. When he pulled up to my house, he turned off the car and I turned to look at him. 

"Hey," I said. "Do you want to come in?"

"Sure," Dean said and I smiled. I was happy that we were finally getting the chance to hangout. 

We both got out of the car and I led the way, unlocking the front door and stepping in. After he walked in, I closed the door behind him and walked up to my room, with him following. 

I was thankful that my room was clean because I realized that this was the first time he was in my room. 

"Nice room," he commented and I smiled.

"Thanks," I said, walking over to my bed. I sat down and leaned against the headboard. I grabbed the remote and turned on the TV. "Want to watch a movie?"

"Sure," he said, moving from the door to my bed. He sat down on my bed and leaned himself against the headboard. 

I used my Apple TV to put Netflix on and chose a random movie that I knew we'd both enjoy. As the movie progressed, it became less and less awkward. We were laughing and joking around, reacting to parts of the movie. When that movie ended, I put another movie on and we sat there, enjoying ourselves just like old times. 

"Hey, do you want any snacks?" I asked, turning to face him. 

He smiled. "You already know the answer to that question," Dean said and I laughed, nodding. He got up and walked around my bed. I stood up, starting to walk but my foot got caught on something and I tripped. I fell right into Dean but luckily he caught me. 

It took me a minute to realize our position. He was holding my waist with my body extremely close to his. I looked up at him and he looked down at me, his eyes flickering from my eyes to my lips and back. Suddenly, our faces started getting closer and closer until our lips were centimeters apart. He leaned closer and our lips collided. I don't know what got into me but I kissed him back and soon, we were making out. His hands stayed on my waist as my hands wrapped around his neck and we kissed for a while.  

We separated to catch our breaths and froze. I looked up at him and we locked eyes, unsure of each other's next move. This scared me. I could feel the tension and all I wanted was to be close to him again, but before I could make another move, Dean spoke. 

"I should probably start heading home," Dean said. 

"Oh okay," I said softly, looking down to avoid his gaze. I didn't want him to see the tear starting to form in my eye.

He turned to face the door and quickly left the room, showing himself out. I softly closed the door and sunk to the floor. 

For the first time since my breakup with Tyler, I felt like I'd just been stabbed in the heart. I leaned over, putting my knees up as I wrapped my arms around them, and I cried. 

'Tis the season for unrequited love.