worlds colliding

By third period, word had spread that a new, very attractive guy had transferred to our high school. 

I still couldn't even believe that he was actually here. I didn't really like the added attention that was brought by being with him in school, but I was so glad that he was here. 

I walked into my Physics class fourth period and saw Dean sitting at the lab table by the window. I smiled and started to head over when I noticed Paige and Tyler. 

They were sitting at the lab table next to Dean's, so I had to pass their table to get to him. When I looked over, Paige and I locked eyes, causing her to smirk. I averted my gaze over to Tyler, who had his head down to stare at the desk. 

I was so incredibly hurt but I needed to be strong so I kept walking. When I sat down next to Dean, I gave him a small smile but he and I both knew that it was fake. 

Dean leaned over and whispered into my ear, "Lainey, is everything okay? You seem upset,"

I gave him a small smile. "It's nothing, don't worry about it," I said before turning my attention towards the teacher. I knew that he would ask me about it later but for now, he left it alone. 

When the period ended, it was time for lunch. Dean and I got up and when we got outside the classroom door, Dean stopped me.

"Do you want to sit together at lunch? I'm not entirely sure where the cafeteria is so you may need to help me," he said, chuckling. 

"I can show you the way to the cafeteria," Paige said as she walked over to where we were standing. "My name is Paige Carter, and I'd love to get to know you better." She smiled in a cocky, overconfident way as she stood there between us. 

"That's okay," Dean said before turning his attention back towards me. "What class do you have after lunch?"

"I'd love to sit with you at lunch," Paige said, touching Dean's arm lightly. This caused me to roll my eyes out of embarrassment and disgust. Of course Paige was over here flirting with other guys when she was supposed to be loyal to Tyler, not that he knew much about that word. 

"I'm okay, I'm going to sit with Alana, but thanks for the offer," Dean said before grabbing my arm and heading down the hall. When we got far enough down the hall, Dean asked "What was that all about?" 

"Paige isn't really used to guys saying no. Everyone in this school has tapped that at least once," I said with an attitude. "You didn't have to say no to her for me. I'd understand if you chose her instead, that's what most people would've done."

"Are you kidding? Of course I'd rather sit with you. She's a bimbo with no brains, and she clearly has no respect for you so why should I pay attention to her?" Dean said. "You know I care about you, Lainey. I'd never ditch you."

This of course made me extremely happy and smile widely. I couldn't believe that someone as attractive as Dean said no to someone like Paige, and for me of all people. No one says no to Paige, not even Tyler. 

I felt a lot better as we walked into the cafeteria. I was still uncomfortable and intimidated by the stares but with Dean by my side, it felt easier to deal with. We headed over to the hot lunch section and got food before walking through the cafeteria to Elle and I's usual table. I could see Elle grinning like an idiot as we walked up to the table. 

"Hi, I'm Elle, Lana's best friend," Elle said. "Who might you be?"

Dean and I put our trays down before sitting down to eat. "My name is Dean Anderson, I just moved here from California." This of course made Elle's eyes go wide as she realized that the guy in front of her was the guy I told her about from the summer. 

As I ate, Elle lightly interrogated Dean, acting like she didn't already know everything about him from the stories I told. "So Dean, what do you like to do?"

"Well, I used to play football and lacrosse at my old school," Dean said as he ate his food.

"Oh my gosh! You should totally try out for the football team! Alana's brother's on the team," she said. 

"Yeah, I think I might talk to him about trying out. I don't know if I'd make it but it's worth a shot," Dean said.

"You know, Lana's dad's a legend around here," Elle explained. "He was the starting quarterback all four years of high school, and every year they won the state championship game. He was insane!"

"So I've heard," Dean said, chuckling. "It's very impressive."

"Yeah..." I said. I loved my dad but I hated talking about him because I didn't want to seem like I was looking for attention. This school already practically worshipped both my dad and my brother, and I already had enough attention on me from the Tyler situation. 

The rest of the period flew by, the three of us talking about anything and everything. When the bell rang, the cafeteria emptied and we stood up to leave. 

"Where's your next class?" Dean asked.

"Room 225," I responded. "Where's yours?"

"Room 223!" He said. "I'll walk you to class."

We headed down the hall side-by-side to our next class. Everywhere I went, I was being watched by everyone. I couldn't tell if Dean noticed but it definitely made me uncomfortable, and I'm sure walking with the new guy didn't help the situation. But Dean was my friend and I was so happy that he was here. 

When we got to my class, Dean stopped me. "Do you want to hangout later?" He asked.

"Of course, I'll meet you at my locker after school and we can figure it out then," I responded with a smile. 

"Ok, great, see you then," Dean said before walking away.

As Dean passed me to go to his class, I noticed that Tyler was right behind him the whole time. I looked at him with disgust before stepping into the class, not even worried about the fact that he heard my conversation with Dean.