the threat

The next day, I woke up earlier than usual. I wanted to give myself more time to get ready. I got up and took a quick shower before blow-drying my hair. Then, I got dressed and put on some makeup before grabbing my bag to go downstairs. 

I went into the kitchen and made myself a strawberry banana smoothie with a bagel. By the time I had finished eating, Dean was outside so I grabbed my stuff and went out the door. 

I waved as I walked up to the door and opened it. "Hey Dean," I said with a smile as I got in and closed the door. 

"Hey Lainey," he said with a smile. 

He backed out of my driveway and headed down the main road to the high school. We rode in silence for a while until Dean spoke up.

"Lainey?" He asked. 

"Yeah?" I said, turning my attention away from the window to look at him.

"Is everything ok?" He asked, concerned.

"Yeah, I've just had a lot on my mind," I admitted. I had been thinking a lot about the situation with Paige and I was getting increasingly worried. I didn't understand why she was trying to target me, Dean and I were just friends. 

"Well if you ever want to talk about it, I'm always here," he said as we pulled into the parking lot and into a spot.

"I know," I said with a smile. He looked over and we locked eyes for a second before I broke our gaze. I opened the car door and climbed out. 

Dean turned off the car and got out of the driver's seat before closing the door to meet me behind his car. We walked into the building and over to my locker. 

"So, I have practice after school today. If you want, I can drive you home before practice," he offered while I switched my books. 

"Sure, as long as I don't make you late for your first day of practice," I said.

"Don't worry about it, I'll make it," he said, flashing me a smile as I closed my locker. 

"Confident much?" I said, causing Dean to laugh. 

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Dean said before the bell rang.

We walked to our first period class and sat down in our usual seats. About half way through the period, I had to use the bathroom so I excused myself. I went down the hall to the women's bathroom. I walked in and used the bathroom, and while I was washing my hands, the door opened, revealing Paige. 

"Oh great, it's you," Paige said, rolling her eyes as she walked over to the sink next to mine to fix her lipstick. 

"Yeah, because you're such a prize," I said, turning off the sink to get a paper towel. 

"Listen here, you little bitch. You better stay away from Dean if you want to keep your dignity. That stunt yesterday is only the beginning if you don't start listening to me," Paige threatened, causing me to roll my eyes. 

"Actually, you listen here. I don't know how many ways I can explain it before you get the hint but I'm not interested in Dean," I said. "We're just friends."

"Friends don't look at each other like that, Alana. I know you're not that dumb," Paige said. "You may not like him but he clearly likes you so stay away. Dean is mine."

"You need to chill out, Dean's not into me. We've always just been friends, nothing more. You're stretching pretty far," I said. 

"I don't need to chill out. I'm completely in control," Paige said. "I can get anything, and anyone, I want. You think you have Dean but you don't. He'll come running to me one day just like Tyler did. It's only a matter of time."

"You're delusional. I can't lose something that isn't mine." I retorted, crossing my arms. 

"There's a reason why I got Ty and you didn't. He traded up when he realized how much of a loser you are, and when Dean finally realizes that too, I'll be there for him." Paige said, smirking. That was a low blow, even for her.

"You're going to be waiting a while, Paige. Dean's not into you, get over it. Just because he's not into you doesn't mean you have to target me." I said. "Now, leave me alone because I'm tired of your games." 

"The only one playing games here is you, Alana. When will you wake up and realize that I'm better than you?" Paige asked.

"When pigs fly," I said with a smirk before turning on my heels and storming out of the bathroom.