Chapter 1: California

Day 1

"I need to get laid."

My eyes widen before glancing sideways. "Mar! My dad is literally in the next room!" I hiss at the phone before lowering the call's sound, ignoring Mar's sheepish smile on the screen.

"Logan, can you please close the door?" I turn to my other best friend, who was lying on my bed.

He groans, which makes me glare at him. "Fine, I'll do it. God, this plane trip seriously wore me off."

When he closes the door, I turn back to my phone.

"I forgot how uptight Americans can be about sex. Maybe that's why you guys have so many problems in your country."

My lips curve into a smile. I shake my head at her silly comment. Mar's mom is originally Russian, and her dad is French. She inherited the beautiful Russian genes and the sex-crazed bohemian French lifestyle.

"Yes, Mar. I'm sure that the lack of sex causes racism, poverty, and child abuse," Logan notes in sarcasm.

She laughs. "Don't underestimate the power of sex. I am going out to Shoteria tonight, and I'm so horny that I will literally sleep with the first human being in sight."

"Jesus, Mar," Logan mutters.

Shoteria is one of the wildest night clubs in Paris. It was a whole new level of nightlife. I smile, remembering that one night she took me there.

"Do you remember when you dragged me there during Junior year?"

She squeals. "Oh my God, yes! You were this shy new girl who just transferred from California. At first, I thought that this had to be a facade you were pulling. A California girl from LA, who has never been to a nightclub! What a joke!"

My chest vibrates in laughter at the memory of Mar pestering me to go out clubbing with her once we were assigned as roommates.

"It's okay, you can trust me! I'll show you the best places around here!" I mimic her high-pitched voice.

"I do not sound like that! Besides, you should be grateful. Without me, you would have probably died with forty cats in that dorm."

I grin, even though she can't see me. I am grateful for Mar. I would have definitely lost my mind without her, especially after the accident that happened.

"I wish I went with you to Paris," Logan whines. "My school was all about the SATs and getting into Columbia."

My palm instantly covers his. Before I transferred to Paris, Logan and I had plans to attend the same high school in New York. But then the goddamned nightmare that changed our lives forever happened, and destroyed every single goal we had.

Sometimes I feel guilty that I just ran away to Paris while everyone here had to deal with its aftermath... "If it makes you feel better, we had to study for the SATs too."

Mar smirks. "Yeah, right."

Logan glares at her. "Way to rub it in my face."

She pulls her tongue childishly at him before the sound of knocks on her door interrupts us. She turns around to talk to whoever is at the door.

On the other hand, Logan lies on his back while staring at the ceiling as if it's the most fascinating thing ever. I know that he still has some feelings for her, and it must be a bit difficult to see her enjoying life while he's stuck here.

"Sorry, guys. I've got to go. I'll see you in three days!" She blows us kisses before hanging up.

I place my phone on the counter and lie down next to Logan.