Chapter 2: Don't you remember

Jade hugs me tightly when she sees me.

"Amy! My dear, how I miss you! Come, come, let me see you!"

She pulls back and grabs my face between her palms.

"Oh my! You look more beautiful than the last time I've seen you!"

I smile at the look of adoration she was giving me. Her brown eyes remind me so much of Noah's.

Noah.

I force myself to focus back on Jade before my thoughts suck me into the dark whole again.

She's wearing a basic cotton dress. One thing I absolutely love about Jade is her style of clothing. She doesn't care about brands or diamonds. She is always wearing something comfortable and sustainable.

"Don't tell me you're still running! No wonder you look so fit and healthy!"

"Thanks, Jade. Yeah, I'm still running."

"Your dad must have gone crazy. I remember his dream of seeing you dancing in a ballet concert."

I laugh. You have no idea.

"I'm so happy that you came over for lunch. Food's ready, come inside. "

As soon as we walk inside, a strong sense of familiarity engulfs me. I have so many memories inside this place...

In contrast to my place, their house was so authentic. They had family pictures in every room. Their furniture was messy; I could spot Logan's surfboard in the middle of the hallway, and Noah's guitar was on the couch. Their place was what a home is supposed to look like.

Once we're in the kitchen, the delicious smell of Shawarma engulfs my nostrils. It was this Lebanese dish that Jade cooked, and it tasted amazing. I take a seat next to Logan while Jade prepares our sandwiches.

"Jade, this smells amazing," I compliment her.

"The only reason this smells so good is that my aunt will pass by once she's done playing tennis with dad and Noah. She just wants to prove that she's a better cook," Logan teases her.

Jade gives him a sweet smile before handing him his sandwich. "Logan, honey, if I were you, I'd be careful with my words. Remember who cooks the food in the house."

His jaw drops. "Are you threatening to poison me, mom?"

I burst out laughing when Jade shrugs. "I thought I'd give you a fair warning."

She hands me my sandwich, and I thank her. As soon as I take the first bite, my saliva almost drops. This tastes like heaven.

When I open my eyes, I find them both staring at me. "What? Why are you staring at me?" I ask in a very un-ladylike manner, with my mouth full and everything.

My dad would probably scream in horror if he saw me like this.

"Because you're eating like a pig," Logan states nonchalantly.

Jade smiles. "No, she's eating Shawarma the way it's supposed to be eaten. I'm so glad that Logan has at least one normal friend."

Logan groans. "Not this again, mom. Please!"

She shakes her head, disapprovingly. "You should see the friends that he brings home back in New York. One has pink hair, one has his entire body tattooed-" She pauses before lowering her voice. "Even his private part."

I frown, while Logan covers his ears dramatically. "How do you know this?" I ask out of curiosity.

She glances at Logan before looking back at me. "I caught him once with that girl who has pink hair in the basement. It was a horror movie."