Chapter 26: Somebody that I used to know

"What?" Noah asks.

"The bucket list," I breathe out, trying to articulate my thoughts, but I'm stuck inside my head. "The bucket list is his map."

"I have no idea what you're saying, Amy," Mar comments.

"I've been so stupid. So, incredibly stupid," I mutter as I move back and forth around the room.

"Amelia, for God's sake, you're scaring the shit out of me. Just sit down and talk to us!" Noah exclaims.

"It's a trap, Noah! That's what I'm saying! Everything- everything we've done so far-" I pause, my heart turning into knots at the time-lapse replaying itself in my mind, "everything was a trap."

"It wasn't a coincidence that the employee was where we found him today," I realize.

"It can't be, we decided last-minute that we will get her a gift."

"He's been following us! We would have encountered that guy anywhere we stopped! And right now, this guy is at the police station, with three other eye-witnesses suing us for physical harassment."

"Amy, don't you think you're taking this a bit too far?" Logan asks, but before I can say anything, Noah intervenes.

"No, she's right. She's absolutely right, this makes perfect sense," Noah whispers before turning to Logan, "Call dad, we're going to need a lawyer."

-

It's almost three am, Arthur is still here, and I'm physically exhausted.

After Noah called his dad, he arrived at the hospital in no time. We told him everything. We spoke to him about the creep, the bucket list, and our adventures (including the Vegas part). Let's just say that by the time we were done, he was beyond pissed.

He called my dad and filled him in on every detail, which made him rent a private jet to come here as soon as possible... In other words, he'll be here in like, five hours or so.

As for Logan, he grounded him for knowing and not saying anything before sending him back home.

Mar eventually left too, so it was only me, Noah, and Arthur.

Arthur went over his instructions at least five times: Don't say anything when the cops come, not a single word. Even if they talk to you, you just tell them that you will wait to speak with your lawyer before answering any questions.

"Amelia, are you even listening?" Arthur interrupts my thoughts.

Uh, not really. I just don't understand complicated law-English!

"Sorry, I think I need an energy drink... Do you want me to get you something?"

They both shake their heads.

I walk downstairs to the cafeteria, but I can't find anything other than coffee. To make matters worse, the waiter says that they ran out of sugar.

Reluctantly, I take it. The only time I actually need to stay awake, my insomnia doesn't work.

I walk inside the elevator, only to find another guy inside. We're both going to the same floor.

He takes out a small packet and empties it inside his drink.

"Excuse me, is that sugar?"

He nods.

"Oh, the waiter told me that they don't have any."

He takes another one from his pocket and hands it to me. "There you go, I took the last ones," He says before smiling sheepishly.

"Thank you, that's so nice of you."