Epilogue

2 years later

"Let me just make sure I got things right. My Fall collection drops in a week, and you just thought of telling me that we ran out of polyester fabric."

I think that firing her would be too merciful right now. Not when my company is at stake for another one of my father's employees.

Jenna's eyes are wider, and her lips tremble. "I'm sorry, I didn't know-"

"No, before you say anything, please could you explain to me how we ran out of the supplies that the recycling company gave us just two weeks ago?"

She gulps before looking away. Fucking hell, she didn't even order them!

"You forgot to order them, didn't you?!"

Anger bulbs in my chest. She had one job to do- one fucking job to confirm the order from the recycling company. She couldn't even do that!

"Jenna, if by the end of the day we don't have those fabrics, you're not just going to be fired. I will call every fashion agency in the country and make sure that no one hires you."

As I walk back to my office, I notice that everyone had stopped their work. They were all looking at me. For fuck's sake!

"Unless you want to be fired too, get back to work!" The echo of my voice rings in the hallways.

Idiots.

It's not even nine am yet, and I'm already pissed off. That's what happens when I'm in New York, working with the stupid good-for-nothing excuse of my dad's employees.

I let out a long exhale when I reach my office. Before I enter, I turn to my secretary, Jake.

Jake was actually my favorite person in this company. We've been working together for a year now, and he understands me. He knows that I hate when people are late, wear leather or forget to do their jobs. So, he avoids doing all three most of the time.

"Ames, someone is waiting for you in your office."

My eyebrows furrow together. "I thought I told you to cancel my appointments. Today is not my day, Jake! Fucking Jenna forgot to get the-" My voice drops when a mop of curly blonde hair appears at my door.

Mar!

I run towards her and hug her tightly. She squeals, wrapping her arms around my back tightly. "I missed you so much!"

God, finally, someone who feels like home. "I missed you too, Mar!"

She pulls away before grabbing my face in her hands. "You look so pretty! Oh my God, when I saw you walking in here wearing that suit, I was like- my best friend is so badass!" She giggles, and I can't help but join her.

"Come on, let's talk inside."

I close the door behind us, and I spot her admiring my office. I couldn't blame her, because even after a year of working with my dad, I still can't get used to it much.

This could be because I'm still based in South Africa and rarely come to New York... But still, the office was huge with fake wooden floor (yes, I made sure that it was sustainably decorated) and only glass windows.

You could see Manhattan's full view from here: the buildings, the streets, the Hudson River. At night, it would be a bundle of lights illuminating the sky.

As for the office's interior, the color palette was a light one: white, grey, baby blue. I had a desk and a chair that I never used, some unfinished designs on the mannequins on the left side of the room, and a small salon for visitors on the right.

"Amy, this is all so beautiful! I can't believe it's the first time I'm visiting your office!"

I smile as she takes in everything. I missed her spontaneity, boldness, and craziness so much. Mar is a breath of fresh air that the fashion industry lacked very much.

"If it makes you feel better, this is like my fifth time in this office."

She laughs before sitting on the grey couch facing mine. "I'm so happy that you're staying for the next three months! We're going to have so much fun!"

"I think that you're the only reason that I agreed to design Spring 2013's collection," I admit.

It's true, I hate New York. Over the past two years, I had an agreement with my dad. I would work from South Africa with seamstresses on designing and producing the dresses. At the same time, he would take care of everything else in terms of logistics and finance.

It was a good deal. Yes, I still had to come to New York during Fashion weeks, but overall, I enjoyed the best of both worlds.

"Don't worry, being my roommate is so much fun! You can ask Noah!"

My stomach drops at the sound of his name. I haven't seen him in so long... When I first got to South Africa, we would call each other and talk.

But as he started school, the time difference and workload were a lot to handle. I was also way too tired by the end of the day to talk, and we just drifted apart.

"Earth to Amy!"

My eyes find Mar again. And then her words hit me.

"Wait, when you told me to stay with you, I assumed that you got an apartment alone-"

She frowns. "Oh no, Noah's still my roommate. But don't worry, it's going to be so much fun!"