Chapter 21: It's time

Day 20

"Are you sure that this is the only way?" I sigh as I close my front door. 

This is so depressing. 

I can't believe that I'm breaking into Ashley's house. Noah's plan was to distract her downstairs, while I break into her room and search for the invite. 

I hate this plan. 

"Yes."

"I don't like sneaking into people's rooms!" I whine.

"You didn't seem to have a problem doing so the other day in my room."

Smartass. Ugh.

Before I could say anything, we're interrupted by Sawyer. 

"Morning!" He greets us and walks towards my porch. 

"Great, look who's here," Noah sarcastically mutters.

I pinch him softly and whisper, "Be nice."

I turn to Sawyer, "Hi!"

"Hey you," He pecks my cheek, "I haven't seen you since Logan's birthday. Do you usually disappear on your dates like that?"

No, only when I decide to jump off attics.

"You're right, I'm sorry. How can I make it up to you?"

"You could come sailing with me."

My eyes involuntarily meet Noah's. His fist is clenched as he stares at the blank wall behind me. 

I turn back towards Sawyer and bite my lips, not really knowing what to say. 

I mean I don't want to be rude but I also know that Noah dislikes him. 

"I'll talk to you later and let you know if I'm free," I answer vaguely. 

"Okay."

As soon as Sawyer leaves, Noah sighs, "I don't like this guy."

"You know, he's actually a really nice person. I mean I don't even know why he hangs out with me."

Noah rolls his eyes. I push his shoulder as we walk towards Ashley's house. 

"I'm serious! I'm like this awkward, miserable, and soul-sucking person. Why does he want to go out with me?" I whine. 

Noah sighs before turning to look at me, "Because you're pretty. Being pretty cancels everything else."

"Did you just agree that I'm an awkward, miserable, soul-sucking person?"

"Yes. But I also called you pretty."

But then the daunting realization hits me. Being called pretty really does cancel everything out. Great, now we can add shallow to the list of my characteristics. 

"I feel so offended right now," I lie. Noah thinks I'm pretty. This shouldn't make me so happy. 

He nudges my shoulder playfully. "You'll get over it."

-

"Now, let's go over the plan one more time. I will go inside and open the window of the living room for you to sneak in. You should go straight to her room. Okay? Once you get the letter, text me."

I mindlessly nod, my mind still replaying his words. 

He thinks I'm fucking beautiful. 

"Amy! Behind the door!" He whisper-shouts at me, snapping me out of my thoughts. 

I quickly hide behind the door as he knocks.