Chapter 22: Lost

Day 19

As soon as I get to my house, I find Mar standing outside.

"Amy, what the hell happened? Are you okay? I came here as soon as I got your message-"

"We'll talk inside," I say, struggling to open my door.

I hand the keys to Noah and tap my foot impatiently.

"Amy, what's wrong?" Mar tries to approach me again, but I can't look at her. I just can't.

All I can see is betrayal. All I can think about is that Mar was working with whoever that creep is. But why? Why would she do this? She was my sister, goddamn it!

Noah opens the door, and I storm in. He turns to leave, but I stop him, "Where the hell do you think you're going?"

He raises his arms defensively. "Okay, I'll stay. No need to ask so nicely."

I roll my eyes at his sarcastic comment and turn to the living room. Mar runs behind me.

"Tell me, what is it?"

I push her hand away from my shoulder and unfold the invitation.

My fingers point towards the code, but she seems clueless; her eyebrows are furrowed together, and her lips are pursed.

"What?" She asks.

I can't believe she's still lying and that she's doing it so well!

"Mar, I know that you didn't send this! Actually, I know that you couldn't have sent this because it's sent from outside the country!"

The color disappears from her face; she looks like she has just seen a ghost.

She gulps. "No, there's a misunderstanding-" She starts to say but trails off.

"There's no misunderstanding. This is not an American code! Who the hell are you covering for?" Noah intervenes.

She stays silent.

"Say something, goddamn it!" I shake her, "You were like a sister to me! How could you do something like this?"

But she doesn't react. She doesn't even meet my eyes.

"Were you working with this person?! Did you know he was stalking me? Or was it you?!" I can't even comprehend the words coming out of my mouth.

"What? Someone's been following you?" Her jaw drops, "Amy, I had no idea, I-" She starts to say before shaking her head.

"I can't. I can't say anything, please don't make me," She mumbles before grabbing her bag, "I need to leave."

"You're not going anywhere," Noah stops her before asking, "What do you mean by you can't say anything? Is someone making you do this?"

Her eyes move hesitantly from Noah to me before settling on the floor.

"I can't tell you. I'm sorry."

I start to ask her more, but Logan's voice interrupts me by asking, "You can't tell her what?"

At first, he has a blank expression on his face but as soon as he notices that Mar is crying, his features break into softer ones.

"You didn't lock the door behind you?" I ask Noah before turning to Logan, "What are you doing here? I thought you're not talking to me."

He pulls Mar to his chest before meeting my eyes, "I'm still not talking to you, I'm actually here for Mar. Why is she crying? What did you two say to her?"