Chapter 34: Perfect

"Explain everything," Dad says as he tries to keep his voice under check. "Now."

I quickly glance at Noah, who seems to be as uncomfortable as I am. Mar is leaning against the wall next to me, with her eyes concentrating on the ground. Definitely not an ideal way for her to meet Logan's dad, Arthur, who was also sitting next to Noah.

My eyes involuntarily move towards Logan. He hasn't said a word since the police arrived and brought us back home. After I hit Sawyer with the pan, Logan froze.

I know that he heard Sawyer, but I'm not sure if he remembered. The police quickly took Sawyer and charged him with the conspiracy of murder, kidnapping, and harassment. All of this, thanks to Arthur and dad's money.

Logan is sitting on the couch, facing Noah. He's still avoiding my gaze.

"Amy, today, please."

My attention goes back to my dad. I avoid the urge to roll my eyes at him. Why can't he be more like Arthur, who, by the way, was just quietly comforting Noah?

"I got an anonymous text to meet the creep at the Santa Barbara Island. So, I was going to go there, but I ran into Sawyer, who proposed to give me a ride. I said yes to him."

My dad sighs before his hands run through his face. "My brilliant daughter, everyone! I don't know what's worse, the fact that you agreed to meet him in the first place, or got on his boat!"

"If it makes you feel better, he promised not to kill me."

My dad glares, clearly not appreciating my sense of humor. "Not now, Amy!"

He turns to Noah. "What about you? What happened? How did you end up there?"

"The short version of why I ended up on the boat is that I found Sawyer erasing the code that Alex worked on when I went back there to get my wallet." 

Jonathan wraps one of his hands around Noah's back. "You're okay now. It's over. I'm going to put him behind bars for the rest of his life."

Noah smiles gently at his dad. "I'm fine, dad."

Why can't my dad and I be this civilized?

"I'm sorry that my daughter dragged you in this mess."

Again, I try not to roll my eyes at dad's comment. Noah quickly dismisses him. "She didn't. He was on to the both of us anyway. There was a room filled with our pictures, dating from two years ago."

"The nightmare's over, yes, Arthur?" Dad asks.

Arthur nods. "Supposedly. Unless another crazy family member shows up, we're good."

Then, he turns to Logan. "Logan, I think we should talk more to Cindy. I don't buy her story. It just doesn't make sense that she 'happened' to ask you to meet her at Sawyer's boat."

But Logan doesn't answer. His gaze is still fixated on the wall behind Noah.

"Actually, can we just hit pause for a second? I think we're all exhausted, and we need a break," I intervene.

Arthur nods. "Okay, we'll talk about this later. John, we can have some coffee over at my place to discuss matters further?"

"Sure. Try not to commit another felony for half an hour more, yeah?"

I let out a sarcastic laugh. "Hilarious, dad. Goodbye!"

He shakes his head before carrying his bag and gesturing for Arthur to take the lead. Once I hear the slam of the front door, I quickly run towards Mar.