☼twenty six☼

I slid on a striped button down shirt and some jeans, something I thought was casual but not too casual. I looked at myself up and down in my mirror and after a minute I decided it was good enough. Before Oliver I never really cared about how I looked, but then I wanted to make an impression on him so I started to look myself over and over to make sure everything was effortlessly perfect. Like I just threw it on with no thoughts.

I skipped downstairs and heard familiar voices, sonny and Cher, Or better known as Issac and Mounir. I smiled lightly at the sound of their voices seeing that I always have a pleasant time when they are around. On my way down, the idea of telling them of Oliver's and I's relationship popped into my mind; just for a second. I shooed it away because what would I say? The conversation would be virtually pointless.

I smiled wide when I saw both of the men with my parents and Lisa chatting around the living room. They looked like they were chatting happily in Italian and a little bit of French while Lisa stood there awkwardly not understanding a thing.

"Bonjour!" I smiled to them, I decided on French tonight, "comment étaient tes voyages?" I walked over and hugged them both. (How were your travels?)

"charmant!" Mounir smiled back and patted my back. (Lovely)

"He really is grown up huh?" Issac said in his original language while giving me a firm hug.

"Sadly," my mother smiled, "mon petit est grandi," (my little one is grown up) she twirled her fingers in my brown locks

I smiled then caught a quick glance from Lisa, she looked lost, like she was on a strange planet and aliens were surrounding her and speaking their gibberish; in a way I guess she was. I felt bad for her, I found this a common feeling. I also found intense hatred a common feeling, there was no in between.

Pity or animosity: pick one.

This time I chose pity. I smiled to the group, "have you met Lisa? This is Oliver's wife," I pushed away all selfish emotions and tried to be there for this lost foreigner.

"Yes! I suppose we should try and speak English for her sake," My father laughed and scratched the back of his neck.

"You know, speaking of, where is Oliver?" My mother said. Lisa stayed quiet. Her mouth was shut. I looked to her with my brows furrowed only for a second so she could see my confusion and she just looked to the ground in response.

"I'm not sure, I'm sure he'll be down any second," I reassured them.

"You know, I don't think I ever actually met this Oliver. I've only heard about him," Isaac said and gave me a quick look.

Did someone tell him?

"Yes well, you'll meet tonight. If he shows up that is," My father quickly changed the subject and started talking things of abstract expressionism; something both Mounir and Issac were fond of.

I stopped paying attention to the conversation and directed it to Lisa; she looked so small. She was sitting alone on our couch, her hands between her knees and her head down. I went to sit by her, "you alright? Your quiet tonight," I said.

She went to open her mouth but before she spoke she was interrupted by a large booming voice, "Hello!" He came into the room. I first noticed his outfit, "you must be Mounir and Issac,"

A striped shirt and jean pants, something I had never seen him in and something I never thought I would see him in. What happened to his kakis? Or his swim shorts? Why were we matching? I immediately blushed and became flustered, they were going to think this was planned.

"And you must be Oliver!" One of the two said walking over to him with open arms.

"So sorry I couldn't meet you last time," Oliver said in a small hug with Issac.