☼twenty seven☼

I stood by myself while to cool wind blew through my thin shirt, picking it up slightly. I stood there, with my eyes wide and looking at the ground. Was she really gone? She left him so easily. It's only been a few weeks, she must have really caught on quickly.

I started to shuffle in the house but before I got far I saw a figure standing in the middle of the yard about 40 feet away from me. I could tell the silhouette was facing towards me, but other than that, this phantom was a mystery.

"Hello?" I yelled out hoarsely at first, "Hello?!" I yelled again.

"Hey," the shadow said, it was Oliver. He started to walk towards me.

"Oh um, I think Lisa wants you," I said when he was a little closer.

"No, she already found me and told me everything. I suppose she told you as well?" He asked.

Was I really out there long enough for them to have an entire conversation about everything? I feel he would be more responsive than I was so I thought for sure they would be up in their room all night going back and forth, "oh...yeah. She did."

"Hm," he nodded his head, "what do you think then?" He was now right in front of me, looking at me straight in the eye.

"I'm not really the problem, Oliver—this is your wife we're talking about," I looked him back in the eye.

"Sure, I guess. Haven't I told you everything? I've told you what I think of her, this doesn't change anything."

"Oh..."

"I'll never mourn for her touch. I never have really, so if your worried for my happiness once she's gone; don't. Although breaking this to my family, the divorce I mean, will be hard. I don't think I can ever tell them of my relationship with you, at least I can't see me telling them right now. Maybe in the future.
Anyway, I plan to walk her out the door and walk her to her taxi but after that, we will have a completely platonic relationship. We need to sign a few papers, but after that, we are no longer husband and wife but rather a ex you never speak of." He shrugged.

"I'm guessing you still need to go to the states?"

"Yeah," he sighed, "only for a while. I'll be back soon, a year maybe? And I don't need you to come with me, I don't want you to come with me. I don't want to effect your life like that, in such a negative way. Don't pause your life for me. During that year go to college, meet new people, go new places. And then when I come back it will be summer again, and then instead of leaving when autumn arrives I will stay with you through the fall, winter, summer and repeat. Forever, or for as long as you'll have me," He smiled.

I glared up at him, "we've had this conversation before, I'm going with you."

"No, no your not. You get your studies over with for the first year and then I'll come back in the summer and like I said, I'll stay for as long as you'll have me."

"I'm not going to agree," I said

"You don't have to, it's going to happen either way."

The next morning was quiet, at breakfast my parents swirled their food in their plates and glanced at each other every so often. Just a few hours before Oliver had done what he had said, said goodbye to Lisa and let her go forever. He seemed a bit more relaxed than all the previous breakfasts now that she was gone, but still tense from the heavy silence.

"Guys," My father started suddenly, "I think it's about time we cut to it and talk about your relationship." He dropped his spoon in his food and looked between both of us.

"We've ignored it—not because we don't approve but because we didn't want to make you uncomfortable—but now that...extreme measures have been taken, we have to talk."

My heart started to race and I could feel a tight lump in my throat threatening to come up and explode.

"You two, have such a beautiful relationship. Something that is so rare in this world, something I haven't seen in any two couple. You two, obviously, complete every missing part of each other. It's amazing, honestly. Watching your relationship blossom and grow from the sidelines was quite a magnificent thing.
I don't know how you plan to do your future, but we should probably be starting to think of that soon. Maybe not forever future but the next four years. Elio's education, Oliver's job, and whatever comes in between. And you don't have to discuss your plans with us, you don't have to come through us to ask for permission to do anything. Your both intelligent adults, you both can decide how you want to live your life. So I'm only saying this to put it in your mind, just think."  He got quiet and started eating his food along with my mother.

"Thank you," Oliver and I said quietly in unison.

Short chapter again. I'm super sorry. I've been really busy with friends for a while so the upload is quite slow. Also this chapter is really a hot pile of crap so its double bad.

Anyway, happy late new year 🎉

Xoxo