Week 7--Part 4

Location: Another villa, almost identical to Merlin's

"Well, here we go again," Buffy mutters to herself as she goes to knock on the door.

Wash opens the door and his face lights up. "Well, hello, Miss Summers. What are you doing here?" He takes her into a hug.

They separate, and Buffy looks into his eyes intently.

"Wash, you have been such a wonderful surprise. On night one I never thought we'd end up this far, but here we are. You're an incredible, if somewhat confusing, person and I can't believe how lucky I am to have gotten to know you over the last few weeks." Buffy pauses. "But if I'm being completely honest with myself, I just don't see us working long term. And I'm so, so sorry if I you think I led you on, because that was never my intention. I really wanted this, and us, to work, but the longer I go through this process the more I realize it isn't for me. I hope you can understand."

Wash takes in a deep breath. As he exhales, his face becomes rigid in a way we've never seen. "But I'm the last one. Merlin's gone. It should be me. I'm it!" Though his words started out cool and measured, they quickly grew with intensity.

"I know," Buffy says. "I know this isn't how this is supposed to work out. I'm more upset about it than anyone. I just have to be true to—Wait. How did you know I sent home Merlin?"

"What?"

"Merlin. How did you know I sent him home. It was literally less than an hour ago."

"Oh," Wash shrugs. "One of the crew told me."

A voice from off-camera says, "I didn't know. Did you, bro?"

"Nah, me neither. We've been with this guy all afternoon."

Buffy stares at Wash incredulously, her eyes growing wide.

"You did it, didn't you? Somehow you sabotaged Merlin. But why? Were you really that desperate to be with me?"

Wash shakes his deliberately from side to side and smiles. "I wasn't that desperate to be with you, but I was desperate for you to choose me. It would have made everything so much simpler."

Wash lunges forward.

Location: The beach outside Wash's villa

Chuck, Sarah, and Casey race toward the villa, the view from the cameras unsteady as their carriers try to keep up.

From behind a voice calls, "Alright...I'll just...catch up to you...in a minute...The Morgster is on his way."

Chuck reaches the door first and flings it open. "Buffy!"

The scene awaiting them is a pleasant one. Buffy sits on a loveseat with her legs crossed, filing her nails. The limp form of Wash is firmly tied to a chair, bruises scattered along his body.

"Chuck? Of anyone, I certainly didn't expect to see you today. And... you brought your girlfriend. I mean wife. Great. And is that the bartender?!" Her eyes narrow. "Wait, now I know where I recognized you from—you were at the Buy More!"

Chuck smiles awkwardly. "Well, I might need to clear a few things up. Looks like you didn't really need us, though. Just another day on the job."

As vaguely as possible, Chuck explains that he, Casey, and Morgan (who finally caught up while Chuck is explaining), work for an agency that received intelligence that Buffy might be in danger and that they've been keeping a close eye on the cast.

"So, were you playing me this whole time then? Just to keep an eye on me or whatever?" Buffy asks.

"No, no of course not," Chuck says tenderly. "I came here for you. It was only after that everything got messed up. And I was still trying to build a relationship with you until I knew I no longer could." He casts a glance at Sarah.