Paying respects

The air couldn't be worse out in a busy city. Most people never seem to notice the horrible atmosphere but there are few who can barely tolerate it, and for one particular person, the smell of putrid exhaust coming from taxies and other cars blowing into (your name's) face on a daily basis was getting out of control.

     At the ripe age of twenty-two with a decent paid job in the city, you'd think a girl like (y/n) would be used to these conditions. Turns out she has no choice but to commute from her bad excuse of an apartment on the shady side of town, to the loud and busy part of it. But today was different, (y/n) took a day off work and went to what she calls the quietest place on earth: Mt. Ebott.

     Not very many people liked to go up that mountain because of its difficult trails that were famous for trapping many vehicles of any sort in the seemingly endless potholes, mudslides, tree-blocked paths; Mt. Ebott had it all. Not much is known about Mt. Ebott, except for its giant hole at the very top that supposedly is bottomless according to hardcore tourist who like to lower themselves into it to explore. That was shortly banned however, since the several heart-wrenching news stories of families not tightening their children's harnesses enough who later on succumbed falling to their death. The bodies were never found because no one knew how dangerous it would be to risk their life trying to recover someone who is already dead.

     As much as the curiosity of wanting to know what's down that pit of Mt. Ebott's, paying her respect for the children sounded better to (y/n). She brought seven different colored paper lanterns for each child that fell down, red, light blue, orange, dark blue, purple, green, and yellow. The trip up the mountain wasn't that big of a challenge since (y/n) knew the fastest shortcuts to get to the top, the hard part was getting over the fence that was put up around the pit to prevent anymore people from falling in. She was prepared however and brought a pair of wire cutters with her.

     By the time (y/n) reached the top the sun had already set an hour ago but she knew this would happen and once again came prepared with a flashlight. She eventually made it to the huge fence that has pictures of the children that fell  and were surrounded by hundreds of shriveled flowers and unlit candles; there was already a designated shrine at that point. As simple it would be for (y/n) to just light the lanterns by the shrine and watch them float up into the sky like every year, she would rather watch them gracefully descend down into the pit where the children's bodies actually were. She saw it as something that would give those children happiness for being trapped in the dark for so long. Carefully, she set the paper-colored lanterns down once she made it to the fence and took out her wire cutters, snipping a big enough hole and squeezed through.

     There was a good sized gap of walking space between the fence and the pit to prevent people from climbing over the fence and endangering themselves of falling in. (y/n) sat a distance away from the edge as she lit the first lantern. It was a pretty shade of yellow like the sun, she smiled as her hands began to warm up from the small fire inside the lantern as she waited for it to start floating by itself. She discovered the right amount of weights to put on each lantern so it could float down into Mt. Ebott. She got closer to the pit's edge so she could watch the lantern float down and gently pushed the lantern off the edge. She took a moment of silence for each child that had fallen down once she placed their own individual lantern.

     Dark blue and red were the last two lanterns left to light, She admired the multi colored lanterns that were slowly disappearing into the darkness as she tried to savor the moment. (y/n) has no connection to any of the children that died, she never could figure out why she did this in the first place. It was just one of those things that made her feel part of something else, of something greater than where she is now. The Dark blue lantern was already descending into the pit, the lantern's color looked as if the night sky itself was lowering into a darker yet darker starry night.

     The deep rose red colored lantern is the last one left, (y/n) sighed knowing that this somber but peaceful moment would soon have to end. She started up the lighter after a few sparks but the flame quickly went out from a subtle gust of wind. She tried lighting the lantern again but the lighter was too low on fuel. She desperately tried to light it once more but the wind was picking up, she couldn't leave now without lighting the last lantern, she became absorbed by trying to get the lighter to work that she didn't notice the wind getting stronger by the seconds. (y/n) eventually accepted that her lighter was completely out and that the wind would've blown the lantern away if she had gotten it to work and decided to come back tomorrow and light the last lantern. She sighed and looked down the pit one last time to get a glimpse at the faint light of the last lantern she lit. But it was already gone.

     She starts back to the part of the fence she cut and mumbles about the lighter that just had to stop working when she was almost done paying her respects, but she quickly halted as she noticed the sound of footsteps close by. (y/n) panicked as she tried to figure out where the footsteps were coming from but the person that owned them had already spotted her and a flashlight pointed right in her direction.

"This is the police and you have violated the law by trespassing unsafe grounds! Put your hands where I can see them!" The policeman shouted with anger in their voice.

     (y/n) reflexively obeyed and raised her hands up with one still holding the lantern but a huge gust of wind came snatching in straight from her grip. She ignored the policeman yelling at her to stop as (y/n) tried to catch up to the unlit lantern that was quickly making its way to the endless pit. She could almost feel the lantern at her fingertips but the smallest of bumps in the ground took over her last steps and hurled her into the pit to a distance beyond she ever wanted.