Short-Lived Memories

I wake up to the sound of rapid knocking at my door as I take my time to stretch, I could hear muffled excitement behind the door and figured that it's most likely Asriel that had waken me. I open the door still feeling groggy as any normal person should be and gave Asriel my best smile I can give in the morning.

     "Hey Asriel, what are doing up so early?" I yawned.

     "What are you spitting about?" His enthusiasm was cut. "It's nine o'clock and you missed breakfast."

     "Oh, dang it." I could smell the faint air of pancakes that were no longer present. "I guess I better stick to cereal today."

     "Hang on, I got something for you." He pauses.

     Asriel takes his hand from behind his back and handed me a new looking leather notebook. He hands it to me as I felt the subtle bumps from the leather, flipping through the pages quickly, and getting a whiff of fresh pages.

     "I got it for my birthday but I never found a use for it so I think it's best if you would have it." He averted my gaze and fiddled with his hat and feeling embarrassed.

     "Thank you Asriel! How very nice of you to give me this journal." I bent down and gave him a hug as he giggled and hugged me back.

     "Now you can write down all the slang talk, so you won't have to crab what I'm saying."

     I was at loss of words, "—Crabs?"

     Asriel didn't hesitate to explain, "That means 'figure out',"

     He did the curtesy of repeating his last sentence with the meaning, making much more sense than it did the first time.

     I examine the notebook, there was a small thin pocket inside the spine of the notebook that had a perfectly unused fountain pen, I take it out and write down my first slang definition and one other Asriel taught me:

-Crabs: Figure out

-Spitting: talking

     "Can you tell me the slang terms that I missed from yesterday?"

     I completely forgot about breakfast, now intrigued with this entirely new way of speaking.

     "Sure thing (y/n)!"

     I kept my pen ready as I began writing down every single term that came out of Asriel's mouth.

     I can't remember the last time I actually learned so many new words that weren't obscene and sexual. There are probably slang terms for obscene words but there's a fat chance that a boy like Asriel would know any. He probably picked up his slang from passing monsters in the city—that is if he's ever left this place, but with a high strung mom like Toriel, it's highly unlikely that he ever goes into town at all. 

     "Where did you learn all these slang terms? Do you pick them up from other monsters that are in Snowdin?"

     "—(y/n)?"

     It took me a little too long to respond once I realized that Asriel was trying to get my attention.

     "Yes, what is it?" I was feeling fatigue from missing breakfast.

     He shuffled through his pocket and pulled out a familiar object that resembled a lot like my phone.

     "What is this?" He points.

     I couldn't help myself to hold back my smile remembering that I was stuck in time period about a hundred years back. I can't imagine what is going through Asriel's mind from the sight of my phone.