The Bargain

The cold draft worsened throughout the mansion's busted up state from the bullet shattered windows. As soon as Undyne and I, along with the rest of the Venatores checked for any lingering Infernums, I followed Undyne to where I had last saw Sans. The moment I laid eyes on him and his surroundings, I saw that Sans had put the rest of the mansion's cruddy state to shame; the hallway was filled to the brim with blue sharpened bones as well as the accompanied color of red that came from dead Infernum members pinned to walls and the ceiling. There was a distinct circle that was void of any fragmented bones around Sans' hunched over figure who hadn't made any sign of acknowledgement to my presents.

     I began to weave through the outskirts of the battle field of bones to Sans but the firm grip of Undyne halted me.

     "I wouldn't do that if I were you, sister."

     I ignore Undyne's advice and persisted as she watched in silence, her eye wide with worry.

     "Sans? Sans, can you hear me? It's me, (y/n)." I call out.

     I made it to the edge of the circle, Sans' back was still facing in my direction as a plume of blue smoke surrounded him. I step into the circle of what was once Sans' safety as the smoke suddenly darted towards me as if the smoke itself had a conscience. I froze in fear that something horrible was about to happen to me, but the smoke only surrounded me bringing a sensation of being pushed towards Sans. The closer I walked the more I was convinced my legs were no longer moving on their own until I was towering over Sans. He was kneeling down staring at the floor with his hands clutching his severely torn white buttoned shirt.

     "they got him— they got him and i wasn't there to save him." 

     I had never heard Sans sound so broken before, but I couldn't blame him, Infernum had kidnapped Gaster who has been crucial to helping us figure out how we were going to leave the Underground. And that chance was gone.

     Sans hadn't looked up once since I came to him and knelt down in front of him. I gently place my hands on either side of his cheekbones to lift his head up. He lets go of his chest and pulls me in for a hug as he tucks his skull into the crook of my neck as I quietly comfort him, but the heartfelt moment ended shortly as Undyne and a few others came staggering from behind us as they broke a pathway to Sans and I.

     "Boss, we got good news..." A member spoke up.

     Sans wipes his tears away before facing the others.

     "well spit it out, what's the news?" He says in a gruff voice.

     "We've got a hostage and Papyrus is tryin' to get em to talk and—."

     "...and?" Sans gestures him to continue.

     "He refuses to talk to anyone else but the human."

     "Why me?" I reply.

     The mobster shrugs.

     We were lead to the other side of the mansion where Papyrus was keeping the hostage. The entrance was heavily guarded as muffled screams of pain resonated from behind the door where the hostage was being held. Undyne knock on the door and the screaming ceases, footsteps were heard and the door opens a crack with Papyrus on the other side.

     "I'm a little busy at the moment, Undyne." Papyrus huffs.

      "Yes, I can see that but—"

      "Oh splendid, Infernum hadn't taken you after all!" Papyrus says cutting off Undyne the moment he spotted me.

     Papyrus opens the door wider revealing himself holding rusted pliers covered in blood as well as the stained apron he wore over his shirt that had specks of fresh blood; It was quite a site, but not the most thrilling one— at least I now know what Papyrus' profession is.