Chapter 6

I knock on Reginas door at 4pm. I went back to my place to change and get ready for the Fourth of July party for Reginas company. I'm wearing a blue pair of cargo shorts and a blue T-shirt with the American flag on it, and a pair of white sneakers. Regina opens the door looking as gorgeous as ever. She's wearing a flag colored sundress that ties behind her neck, and a pair of white sandals. "Fuck Regina. Do we really have to go to this party?"  She lets out a giggle. "Unfortunately yes my love, but we don't have to stay to long".  "Good". I give her a kiss and we head out. I pull into this huge circular driveway with a big White House at the top. "Holy crap Regina. This is someone's house?"  She chuckles and says. "Yes it is dear. It actually belongs to my family. My father used to bring us up here every summer. I have so many great memories here". I see a little tear form in her eyes. I hold her hand and say "I'd love to hear about them some time". She leans in and kisses me as our doors are opened for us. Of course they'd have valet. We walk hand in hand into the back yard. "This is the greenest grass I've ever seen". I whisper in her ear and she lets out a big laugh. We go over to the bar next to the huge pool and we both get a corona. I just keep looking around. It's a beautiful day. Its not to hot with a breeze coming off the water that is like a 30 second walk away. "Come with me to say hello to a few people?"  I nod and she leads us to a small group. Regina introduces us and we all smile. She tells me they are some of the other lawyers she works with. They don't seem to stuck up. Regina excuses us and takes my hand and leads me up the stairs and onto the wrap around porch and up to a man and a woman who seem to be doing shots. Finally people I have something in common with. She gives them hugs then introduces me. "Zelena, Jefferson this is my girlfriend Emma. Emma this is my sister and brother". We shake hands. I notice Zelena speaks with a British accent. "Lovely to meet you Emma. Would you like to join us in a shot of fireball?" I look at Regina and she smiles. "It's ok dear. Go ahead if you'd like".  "I'd love one thanks". She pours four. She hand me one, Jefferson takes his and Zelena hands one to Regina. "Your going to need one darling, I heard mother just arrived". Regina takes it and shoots it right back. Damn that's hot. The rest of us drink ours and I hear heals click against the wood floor "Why are my children up here doing shots instead of mingling with our guests?"  Zelena says "Oh relax mother. We need shots in order to put up with these people, besides we are mingling with our new friend Emma". Cora looks over my way then to Regina. "How nice of you to invite your friend Regina".  "Emma is my girlfriend mother and I'm sorry we won't be staying long we have other plans".  "Regina these gatherings are important not only to our company but to our family". "Oh mother please. You only throw these things to be the center of attention". Just then a sandy haired man walks up "Cora, I hear you've been looking for me". "Oh yes, Daniel. I'm glad you could make it". She says as she hugs him. "I'd never miss a Cora Mills party".  Regina takes hold of my hand and gives it a gentle squeeze. "Daniel you remember my children Jefferson, Zelena and of you know Regina". "Yes hello everyone".  "Well mother since won't introduce Emma I will. Daniel I'd like you to meet my girlfriend Emma. Emma this is Daniel". We shake hands. "So girlfriend. I don't know. Your mother has been telling me how much you were looking forward to seeing here".  "Of course she did Daniel. My mother would like to marry off to the highest bidder if she could".  "That's enough Regina".  "Yes mother it is enough". Regina then hugs Zelena and Jefferson and takes hold of my hand again. "It was nice to see you again Daniel. Good day mother".  We walk through the house and out the front door and I hand the valet my ticket. We get in my Jeep and I ask "Where are we going?"  "I don't care. Any where but here". I nod and start driving. I drive us closer to home. "I'm sorry Emma, about all that". "That wasn't your fault Regina. Besides it wasn't all bad. That house is unbelievable and your brother and sister seem cool". That makes her smile. "It's surprising, but the three of us turned out to be more like our father. Thank god. Although Zelena does have moments when she's totally stuck up". "Hahaha. Ya I did get that vibe from her".  I drive by the harbor that's close to our building. "How about we hang out here. The fireworks start in a few hours. We can grab something to eat". "I'd like that". I was lucky to find a good parking spot. We get out and walk around. "There are more boats than usual out on the water today. They must want to see the fireworks too".   "Yes it would seem so dear". We hold hands as we walk. It's really nice to see everyone enjoying the day. "What are you thinking about my love?"  "I just enjoy this. Being with you feels really good". "I like it as well dear". We stop walking  and she leans into me a gives me a kiss that may have gone on a little to long. All of a sudden we hear a boat horn sound off and bunch of cheers from a boat just off shore. We stop and turn around and see people clapping and waving at us. We laugh and wave back then continue with our walk.